some links not responing

brindly 09:08 22 Dec 2009

A few days ago I had a system crash and has to perform a recovery. This appeared to be successful except now running Internet explorer 7 With google search results and e mail when I try to follow some links (not all) the small pointing hand sometimes gets a star flash with an aprostophy in it and the link fails. Any advise not too technical would be welcome. I am useing Windows XP

birdface 09:24 22 Dec 2009

Try,Run.Type in cmd then press ok.Command prompt will open type in ipconfig /flushdns then press ok or apply.It should tell you dns cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

brindly 10:56 22 Dec 2009

Thanks buteman, did that, no difference i am afraid. The funny thing is the link in the PC Advisor email doesn't respond, I just get this pointing hand, I click on the i link and there is the flash hand with the apostraphy in it. I have to copy the link to the Internet explorer and get in that way, once in mosy of the links work although your link to command prompt didn't. Back to the drawing board.

birdface 13:23 22 Dec 2009

Hi brindly you have to post on here so that others can see what is happening.

Two things come to mind. First, when I did recovery I did it with my discs made when i first got the computer. When I did the recovery I only used the second disk because the first would not run and was not asked for it after the recovery, could this be the problem? I have also been considering a reg cleaner and downloaded "Regcure" free, but of course it wouldn't clean all the 632 errors it found unless I bought the full package $29. What do you think?

First of all remove Reg Cure it is a complete waste of time and money.C Cleaner is free and does a better job.
Have you done all of your Microsoft updates and any reason why you do not upgrade to IE8.

birdface 13:35 22 Dec 2009

Now the first disc may have been for all of your drivers.
Try Device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks beside any of the devices.

Right click my computer.properties.Now you have to open one of the programs for device manager to show.I am not sure which one as I don't use Xp any more.[2nd from top right I think.]

brindly 17:23 22 Dec 2009

Sorry buteman. I have removed Regcure, I always have a fear of reg cleaners because they tell you you should be cautious about making any changes and I wouldn't know what I should repair or leave alone but I will down load CC Cleaner and have a look. No reason not to download IE8 so will do. Being a senior I have my senior moments and finding device manager is one of them. I have looked at my computer and all that gives is the hard drives, willsearch some more because I have seen it in my travels. I will get back to you as I progress hope you don't mind my picking ypur brains.

mooly 18:32 22 Dec 2009

Device manager is found in "control panel"

birdface 20:24 22 Dec 2009

Don't open my computer just right click it and when it opens select properties.Then look for device manager on one of the top programs.

brindly 22:30 22 Dec 2009

Hi again, Have upgraded to IE8 checked out Device manager and all the readings showed no problems. Another thing is I still get the pointing hand with flash and I also get it if I try the reply button on the e mail, compose, delete, block and spam respond though. I also downloaded cc cleaner only to find they wanted money for the full program, is that right? I still have to look on the other recovery disc to see what is on it. Don't really know what else to do, suppose I will have to p[ut up with it untill after Christmas and then find a local computer fixer and hand over more money. Can't live with computers but can't live without them.

birdface 06:12 23 Dec 2009

C Cleaner is free it does try for donations but you can just ignore that.

click here

brindly 07:48 23 Dec 2009

Ha Ha buteman, if only I could get the links to respond! Thanks for that I will go through google and download cc cleaner. Not being a cheepo just fed up with dishing out money to anyone who holds their hand out. I managed to open the other recovery disc, only some folders in it:- Documentaion. RCD-OSTM. Support. Valueadd. Autorun. Although it didn't Autorun. One of the folders had Tools and Symbols in?????.

Thanks for your advice, have a nice Christmas. I will carry on trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?