some letters do not come on screen when i type the

andy63walsh 07:08 09 Jun 2008

some letters do not come on screen when i type them, it's random, any idea ?
I have posted this before, but it didn't resolve it

crosstrainer 07:25 09 Jun 2008

Could be you need to clean / replace your keyboard.

If it's wireless, replace the batteries.

Halmer 08:05 09 Jun 2008

is it a laptop and have you got a touchpad?

andy63walsh 14:38 09 Jun 2008

it's not the buttons as i know it's a random thing, now and then. It is software or something, i'm sure. It is a HP laptop.

crosstrainer 14:39 09 Jun 2008

Dust can accumulate under laptop keyboards ver easily.

This can lead to the intermittent symptoms you describe.

interzone55 16:27 09 Jun 2008

This is quite common with laptops.

Every now & then you'll accidentally brush the touchpad when you type, this can cause the program you're working with to loose focus, or sometimes you'll move the cursor elsewhere in the document you're working on.

I don't know about HP laptops, but my Toshiba laptop comes with a Synaptics touchpad application that allows me to reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad, if you have this application (it'll be in the systray if it's running) try reducing the sensitivity, then brush the touchpad lightly, keep reducing until your cursor doesn't move.

andy63walsh 18:20 09 Jun 2008

I'm very clear of the touchpad, can't be that. The buttons are clean, i vacuumed them, no dust or dirt. It seems almost like you have to hit a button two or three times, as i said it can be any random button.

theDarkness 22:34 09 Jun 2008

..If you type very slowly will you see your complete sentence on screen? It could be a driver problem if its not accumulated dust. I would have been awkward myself and probably tried to get hold of a usb keyboard to test out/last resort!

andy63walsh 08:55 10 Jun 2008

Even if i type slowly it still happens.
I feel it is some sort of driver or a bug ? not sure what to do though ?

andy63walsh 12:56 28 Jun 2008

It must be a driver problem, i'm not sure what one i am meant to get ? It's a HP pavillion laptop, do i get the driver from them and what one, is there a keyboard one ?

andy63walsh 08:58 13 Jul 2008

still doing it, i downloaded the latest hp drivers, but still no good ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?