some kind of spyware/virus? help advice needed

sleepy01 13:55 09 Jul 2010

Hi all,

i had a request to update adobe or flash player and clicked ok it was several days ago and i cant remember which. It seemed innocent enough.
However, ive now noticed that when online my PC seems to be browsing websites showing in history that ive no control over. The PC isnt taking the homepage there but it seems to be in the background somehow as one pops up in history every 30 seconds or so. Mainly things like ads/shopping/gambling sites (usual junk stuff).

Ive ran mcafee scan and spywareblaster but nothing is showing. Would very much like to put an end to this.
Any help greatly appreciated

birdface 14:00 09 Jul 2010

Update and run the free version of this.

click here

birdface 14:02 09 Jul 2010

Any old versions of Flash or Java on your computer remove them.

sleepy01 15:05 09 Jul 2010

thx buteman, downloaded it but its saying access denied

birdface 15:51 09 Jul 2010

Try this it is a pay for program and you get a 30 day trial and it will remove anything that it finds.
If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.

click here

Can you still update your other security programs or does it stop you.

sleepy01 16:35 09 Jul 2010

thank you buteman, it seems to have disabled it at least no unfamiliar history and system isnt being slowed which is great. But a scan using 'TR' still finds it after a restart. Its a DNS nameserver, nvidia nframe networking controller 93.188.162....... means not a lot to me

would you advise on a system restore or leave as is, again many thx

sleepy01 16:37 09 Jul 2010

udate seem ok, at least mcafee is ok when manually checked

birdface 16:49 09 Jul 2010

Maybe run your security programs in safe mode delete anything that they find.Then run C Cleaner if you have it. Then disable system restore and when you reboot switch system restore back on.
But maybe best waiting to see what the networking controller is.
Not got a clue myself.

sleepy01 17:07 09 Jul 2010

ok its back, seem to have restarted it, went to watch something on iplayer and said i needed flash. cLicked the redirect link to adobe flash player and it seemed ok but then failed!. Now the history is ticking over again with the same ad/spam crap.

birdface 17:33 09 Jul 2010

Looks like it is the safe mode option then.
Some virus's attach themselves to a restore point so basically you have to remove the virus first then disable system restore.
Like I said not really sure what networking controller is whether it is just a driver or what.
So the choise is yours.
I would tend to wait until you get better advice from someone that knows what they are talking about.

birdface 17:41 09 Jul 2010

click here

That is only a sample and not for downloading.
Did you print it right.
nframe or nforce.

If removed maybe it could cause a few problems.
I would definitely wait until some else can give you the proper advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017