Some keyboard keys not responding in Indesign CS

jonmac 07:19 21 Sep 2006

I was typing in a text box when I reached for the Shift key and noticed I had typed a backslash key instead. On pressing the backspace key the cursor went to the right hand side of the text box and each further press of that key causes it to move further down the right hand side of the box. If I place the cursor in the middle of a sentence and press Backspace it takes everything to the right of it to the right of the box as before then adds lines.
In addition that group of keys - Insert, Home, Page Up/Down, Delete & End plus the cursor keys below have stopped working.
All is OK in Microsoft Word, Photoshop CS, Illustrator etc
I have closed without saving and reopened the document, closed down the system and restarted, all to no avail. Help!!!

xania 08:55 21 Sep 2006

ALmost certainly the membrane under the keys is damaged. You may find either a horizonal or vertiocal row of keys affected and the rest is OK. If this is a desktop keyboard, replace it - if it is on a laptop, you may need more professional support.

ArrGee 08:58 21 Sep 2006

It sounds as though you may have a corrupt install of InDesign. Within InDesign, have you tried Edit - Preferences, and made sure that the language is set to English: UK?

jonmac 09:21 21 Sep 2006

xania - As I said, the keyboard works fine in other software so it's not a hardware problem.
ArrGee - Edit Preferences in Indesign doesn't seem to have any reference to language that I can find although I did check that in Control Panel and it was OK. Tried an older version of the file and it was the same. I think your probably right about a corrupt install so might try that. Would you recommend an un-install first or reinstall over what's there. Might there be any Validation issues to contend with?

ArrGee 09:58 21 Sep 2006

Try to repair the installation first. In terms of validation, do you have the serial key? (just incase)

jonmac 10:23 21 Sep 2006

Yes, I have all the dics and keys. I'll try an over the top re-install first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?