Some broadband modem questions.

Drum 17:46 17 Apr 2008

After a lightning strike, I replaced my USB broadband modem with a new one which also has ethernet connection and wireless. I chose initial installation by USB as my PC has no ethernet socket, and it seems to work okay.
I have some issues with this new modem however, as I don't seem to have any control over my connection. E.g. the modem puts me online as soon as my computer has started, I have no computer icon in my system tray to remind me that I'm online, no option for disconnecting other than switching the modem off by the switch at the rear, (which I'm sure it is not designed for), and I have no idea what my connection speed is. How do I find this out?

I have a wireless network card which I've never installed. Would there be any benefit in doing this?
I think I have a spare PCI socket, and wonder if an ethernet card is available. Would this give me an improved connection speed? With my previous broadband modem I only got up to 1.1 MB per second on a good day, and I believe up to 8 MB is available.

Although I have a Windows firewall and anti virus I'm really worried about being online all the time from threats to my computer security like hacking, viruses and spy ware.
Some help here with these points would be appreciated.

citadel 18:40 17 Apr 2008

you can get a ethernet card and install it, windows will find it and install driver. it may give a little better speed plus it frees up a usb port. wires are better than wireless.
for speed just put broadband speed test into google, there are a few to pick from.
although the modem is switched on all the time it is only connected when you turn on the computer.

Drum 12:17 18 Apr 2008

Thanks citadel, any suggestions where I can get an ethernet card from?

stylehurst 14:24 18 Apr 2008

Any PC shop for about £10 or less.
Try PC World, Maplins etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone