some basic network qestions

gvmsia 11:12 03 Sep 2009

i have an adsl modem connected to a 4port wireless router. my desktop pc with xp is connected to the router with a network cable. my laptop with xp connects to the router wireless. i have an external hdd connected via usb to the desktop pc for backups.

questions...
- if i enable file sharing for my desktop and laptop, can someone unknown to me access those files?

- is it advisable to share the whole pc, so that i can access everything on laptop from the desktop, and vise versa, not just some shared folders?

- can both laptop and desktop access the ext hdd at the same time, lets say while the laptop is running a backup, the desktop is playing music files?

Strawballs 13:22 03 Sep 2009

1 Not if you have the network secured (encryted)

2 there is very little need to have entire drive shared just share common used files.

3 don't know will have to rely on someone else.

One thing am surprised you have ADSL modem connected to seperate router, that normally is only used for DSL connection (Cable)

gvmsia 15:57 03 Sep 2009

- i followed the wizard to setup the network, so i think it should be encrypted.

- on my desktop pc, i need to access these folders...my documents, favourites, desktop, and a 2nd internal hdd which contains media files.
i also need to access the external hdd connected to the desktop pc for backups
the laptop is pretty much the same folders as desktop pc.

- im not 100% sure what type of connection. i copied this from their faq... The technology used for Streamyx is xDSL. The xDSL types chosen to support Streamyx network are ADSL and SDSL technologies.

its all greek to me

thanks for your info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone