Some audio CD's not recognised-Win XP Pro SP2

csqwared 19:42 23 Mar 2006

Hi hope you folks can shed some light on this. Just upgraded fron Win98 to XP Pro SP2 therefore all hardware is still the same. We have some Rod Stewart audio CD's and when inserted in the CD player it just spins up and then nothing, I can't even access them from Windows Explorer. On my other (Win 98SE) machine the disc spins up, tells me it is going to install some files and then plays. The files it installs seem to be a small player programme. Prior to the upgrade on this machine the CD's played O.K. What's stopping the CD's playing or the install prog functioning? Any ideas??

Cheers

cc

ACOLYTE 19:47 23 Mar 2006

By default cd's are not allowed to play active content,you have to allow it in IE properies,right click the IE icon select properties/advanced scroll down to the security part and tick "allow active contend from cd's to run on my computer"

Stuartli 19:51 23 Mar 2006

The small file program will be one to allow you to listen to the disk but be unable to copy it.

csqwared 19:55 23 Mar 2006

Thanks for that and suggestion implemented but no different, except that when trying to access drive through Windows Explorer, it spins up, drive light comes on, egg timer appears and then a window entitled "Disk is not formatted" appears with the message "Windows cannot read from the disk. The disk might be corrupted......"

cc

ACOLYTE 19:58 23 Mar 2006

I have a feeling Stuartli is right and its some kind of copy protect feature,have you tried opening the cd and seeing if there is a built in player on the cd?

csqwared 19:59 23 Mar 2006

Yes I realise that, what's puzzling me is why XP won't run it. I copied the files onto CD-RW disk using my Win98 machine, ran the .exe file on the XP machine and it played the music without the CD inserted. It wouldn't play the music when I inserted the CD??

cc

csqwared 17:42 24 Mar 2006

Just to finish this off - did a bit of checking on the knowledge base but other than updating licenses there was no information regarding my problem that I could see. Just out of curiosity I stuck the audio CD in my CD-RW drive and it read the disk but no autoplay so opend up Windows Media 9 and hey-presto - music!! The odd thing is I only have onboard sound and that is connected to the other CD?? Any road up I now know I can play thes CD's. Thanks for your input.

Regards

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?