Some Advice please, but I suspect

DiddyBoy 15:09 03 Jun 2003

I suspect that my onboard graphics have gone down on my motherboard (MSI K7N2G-L)

I recently had occasion to restart the PC and when it restarted it switched the monitor off when entering windows..

I can get into windows by evoking VGA mode from the boot-menu, but as soon as I try to alter the resolution from 640 x 480, the monitor is turned off and reporting no signal.

I've tried a reinstall of XP and re-install of the drivers, but to no avail..

I've currently got my Ge-force2 AGP card and all is working ok..

Now the specs..

WindowsXP home edition - fully updated
MSI K7N2G-L Motherboard - Latest Nforce drivers
AMD 2600xp, 1 gig pc2700 ddr. 40 gig HD...

Any thoughts for other things to try or is it knackered?

moore_mat 15:17 03 Jun 2003

Could be the refresh settings for the onboard graphics card - there is a limit to what they can output, and what monitors can cope with, so either will switch off if pushed over the limit - this only happens once in Windows - the loading screens will still appear OK.

Check by Right clicking on the background, going to properties, then the settings tab. Click the advanced button and make your way over to the "adaptor" tab. Change the refrech rate to "adaptor default" and the card should work - if it continues to fail, then yes it has probably gone for good

Regards

Mat

DiddyBoy 15:56 03 Jun 2003

Thanks for that.. I tried and the best I could was 800 x 600 on default refresh but only by entering in VGA mode.. when I rebooted the monitor was turned off again.

I know both the monitor and the onboard graphics can support a lot higher than that.

I suspect It'll have to go back to Ebuyer

DiddyBoy 15:34 10 Jun 2003

I went back and got another motherboard... installed it and no change.. still had the same problem..

Out of desperation. I decided to re-install the main mobo drivers as well as the graphics driver.. and guess what.... it worked..

It must have been the main mobo drivers corrupt..not the graphics drivers as first thought..

So the new mobo is going back..

Thanks moore_mat for replying....

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?