Is solution too drastic?

Astrid 08:40 10 Jul 2008

I've been having trouble with Windows Media Player which is insoluble. Also, I can't play BBC iplayer, although until recently it was working fine. At the same time, I can't download SP3 although I receive automatic updates without problem. The local technician advises wiping my hard disc and reinstalling, saving My Documents first. I have software for necessary programmes, so this wouldn't be too inconvenient. However, with the exception of the above three problems, my computer is working well and so I'm getting 'cold feet' about whether the solution is too drastic for the problem? Is there any other quick way to sort these issues?

crosstrainer 08:45 10 Jul 2008

You could try a repair install:

click here

(for xp)

click here

For Vista

Halmer 08:46 10 Jul 2008

a system restore or uninstalling and reinstalling WMP?

I think the fresh install is too drastic at the moment but I suppose it depends how long you have been toying with it and how important WMP and BBCiP are to you.

H

kalignorgna 09:23 10 Jul 2008

you could down load xp SP3 image then coppy it to disk and try installing it from the disk. as for WMP uninstall it and download WMP 11 from microsoft download centre and all should be fine again. oh run spybot S&D just incase before hand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?