solid state ssd boot drive?

rickd 09:27 15 Jul 2009

I'm replacing my PC soon-ish and see that having a small dedicated solid state memory to boot from is supposedly going to be the new "in thing" - supposedly faster and less corruptable than booting from an HDD. Seems sensible to have it separate (I've had a fair number of boot failures due to HD's dying in my time), and I'm guessing that if the boot prog doesn't need to be updated often, then slow(er) writing to an ssd isn't really an issue. I'll obviously have HDD's for data etc

I'll probably hold out for a couple of months while prices tumble and the technology sorts itself anyhow, but in the meantime, has anyone got any first hand experience or thoughts on whether this is the way to go?

gigagiggles 11:49 15 Jul 2009

hello.

the ssd industry has improved the technology of dealing with frequent data changes via "trim". still, use spin hard drives for these folders. if you know how to redirect system and personal data folders, that will also help.

the operating system is constantly writing files, so "trim" will definitely help prolong the ssd's life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone