Solid State Drive causing continual re-boots

xquest 13:27 03 Oct 2010

My new PC (Win7 Pro., 64 bit) has an SSD boot drive and normal disk drive for data.
Luckily it has been assembled locally so when it failed soon after getting it home I returned it (to be fair on the supplier it didn't fail until day 2). They very quickly found that Win 7 was failing to detect the SSD - Win 7 is supposed to switch off some software when an SSD is present. They corrected this and all was well for a day. Today it is coming up with Windows errors and if I opt for 'repair' it merely loops.
I suspect that Windows might have 'repaired' their correction and the unwanted software routine is running again. Anyone know anything about this ? I'll be taking it back again on Monday (tomorrow). Thanks in anticipation, xquest.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 03 Oct 2010

"Win 7 is supposed to switch off some software when an SSD is present"

Its just a matter of unchecking disk defragment in the disk management so that windows does NOT attempt to defrag a SSD drive as this reduces it life due to the limit on number of writes to the drive

Windows should see the drive as a normal boot drive
sounds like corrupt files or bad drive.

Try a disk check from the repair options list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?