Software Updates

morddwyd 10:35 17 Aug 2014

I've just received an update telling me some software is out of date, and giving me an embedded link to update it.

I didn't use it, but opened the programme and upfated from there.

I know about the many scams for money business, of course, but never for software updates.

Was I right to be suspicious?

The e-mail seemed genuine, but so do many of them!

morddwyd 10:36 17 Aug 2014

Sorry, that should have been "received an e-mail".

john bunyan 10:41 17 Aug 2014

I think you were quite correct. I have never heard of a software update via e mail. Did you verify the source - mind you, scammers can have clever disguises?

compumac 10:48 17 Aug 2014

Ask yourself - How would anyone communicating by e-mail know that you needed to update anything?

Woolwell 11:01 17 Aug 2014

It depends on whether you have registered with the software provider. I have received genuine software update reminders by email telling me that a new update is out. I usually then go to the website and check what the update provides.

Woolwell 11:03 17 Aug 2014

Should have added I do not normally click on email links.

Ventad 11:03 17 Aug 2014

I have always received an email from NVIDIA telling me there is a VISTA update Driver for my desktop , indeed I received one on 29th July this year, but I do know that one is safe, I also get emails from MS saying security updates available and what other security items are happening. But I agree with what JB says I would be quite suspicious of any other emails apart from those two.

Ventad 11:09 17 Aug 2014

Jock1e

I got that one this morning but it disappeared as soon as it arrived, I think Norton closed it down straight away.

Aitchbee 11:30 17 Aug 2014

This morning I got a 'full-screen' pop-up alert - requesting that a JAVA update was needed.

This was quickly followed by an on-screen alert from my Antivirus program [Avast! Pro Antivirus] indicating that it was a suspicious request ... so I declined the offer.

That's my excitement for the day over ;o[

Gordon Freeman 12:21 17 Aug 2014

I would agree in being suspicious of email notification, unless (as others have said) you registered for some specific software. I guess you could always google to double check if there is an update, or go to the vendor's website & check?

The Java update thing is a bit suspicious, & I've seen on quite a few sites a suspicious notification telling me my Java needs updating when I know full well it doesn't.

Generally I wait for the application to tell me there's an update, and then go from there.

morddwyd 19:46 17 Aug 2014

The software was Dropbox, which I am obviously registered with, which, of course, you don't normally "open" as such, it's just there.

To be fair, when I did open the programme I had the same link so I'm probably being a bit overcautious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?