Software Recommendations Please

Jake_027 18:48 07 Jun 2008

I have two computers-a laptop running vista home premium SP1 and a desktop running XP Pro SP2 (soon be be SP3). Both are connected by a netgear WRG614 router which is connected to the internet, the laptop connects wirelessly and the desktop can connect either by wire or wirelessly. Is there any (preferably free software) that can allow me to:

a)sync files between the two machines and also sync files created while not connected to the router next time the computer connects to the router

b)send messages (like IM) between the computers, regardless of who is logged on

Both while not being connected to the internet (ie connected to the router but while the router is not connected to the internet)

Thanks in advance.

Jake_027 20:53 11 Jun 2008

^

Ditch999 22:03 11 Jun 2008

Built in to XP Pro click here
Dont know about Vista but I'm sure its there somewhere (Sync centre).

m800afc 22:44 11 Jun 2008

If you are very quick, try giveawayoftheday.com

click here

woodchip 23:19 11 Jun 2008

All you need is to network the computers using the XP Network Wizard. they should work with router unplugged also

woodchip 23:20 11 Jun 2008

PS when I say Unplugged, I mean from the BT socket not mains

Jake_027 21:10 16 Jun 2008

Thanks to all for the recommendations. My shared drive shows up in network (in vista) but not in the sync centre. I am currently experimenting with beyond sync and will report back when I've used it more thoroughly. In the meantime if anyone can suggest some IM software for use across the network (that doesn't require an internet connection) I'd be grateful. Also I've heard about a piece of MS software called synctoy, would this be useful?

Thanks as always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?