software preventing malware in java+firefox cache?

theDarkness 16:57 21 May 2010

Ive barely been using the net for anything except pc advisor (!) and earthcam (right now), no downloads, yet a recent warning from avira reveals:

'C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4o5ge2n1.default\Cache'
contains :-
'HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen' [virus]

'C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\'
contains :-
'JAVA/Agent.nai' [virus]
'EXP/Java.3243' [exploit]

after a full avira scan, it was only these cache folders that contained infected files, and nowhere else. is it possible that all this supposed malware is due to merely browsing? or could unwanted/hidden installed software purposefully load things from web locations into these cache folders?

I already have spywareblaster, malwarebytes and avira on this xp system together with online armor. If I disable certain settings for webpages in firefox such as javascript far too many sites refuse to work... aside from having a good antivirus scanner, is there anything else I can use to stop junk being loaded into these java and firefox cache folders? or is it likely that avira does this anyway and warned me immediately as soon as these files appeared on my system? I have recently updated avira, so im hoping they werent false positives that im being warned about as possible infected files.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 21 May 2010

is it likely that avira does this anyway and warned me immediately as soon as these files appeared on my system?

Yes
virus and malware can be downloaded to your machine via Java applets this is why some of use WOT to try and avoid nasty sites.

Just delete the cache and rescan.

birdface 17:51 21 May 2010

Hi maybe if you make the one off payment for Malwarebytes that may stop things from downloading on to your computer.
It has full time protection on it.
Shop around for a coupon code and you can pick it up a bit cheaper.

theDarkness 20:05 21 May 2010

if the pay-for malwarebytes does a better job and has faster live monitoring for java/browser protection, that seems a good idea, thanks. ps Im NEVER on nasty sites! :) and I try to only ever download programs from their official homepages (last progs > audacity and virtualdub for editing some old recorded video). I try and avoid general websites where you can search for freeware, since many of them install alot of rubbish that you wouldnt normally want-toolbars etc, along with your needed files, unknowingly or not.

Although my antivirus progs stated after a full scan that nothing could be found, I still wonder if its worth actually having java installed in the first place. I know I can choose not to store any temporary java files on the computer at all (from the java settings in the control panel) and even completely disable browser javascript, but alot of login sites seem to rely heavily on java to work at all. Im assuming that since these problems came from the cache, they are therefore far more likely to have been causing from browsing habits than from any program installations? I suppose if the real origin was from program installations, it wouldnt be just the cache location listed after all

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017