Software pest

skylark101 00:41 04 Feb 2007

I stupidly downloaded some unsigned software called Natural Soft text reader, and now I can't get rid of it, (yes I know, what a suprise!)it came with an uninstall program which does not work, I just get a message saying the program must be closed before it can be uninstalled, even though it is not open. I tried to uninstall it from add remove programs with no success, I found its folder on my C: drive and tried to delete it from there and just got the message:- cannot delete actskin4.ocx it is being used by another person or program. can anyone rid me of this menace!!! ps: I have ran AVG anti virus, and the program did not appear as a threat.

Jake_027 01:41 04 Feb 2007

By repeatedly tapping the F8 key as soon as you switch your pc on. Then choose the option to run windows in safe mode and log on, and try running the uninstaller again in safe mode. Restart the PC and hopeully you should get rid of it

Jake

skylark101 15:07 04 Feb 2007

Thanks jake_027 but that did'nt work, I got a message saying: - could not uninstall, this can occur when running Windows in safe mode, or Windows installer is not correctly installed,
however; I used system restore which cured the problem!

Strawballs 15:32 04 Feb 2007

click here This will help

rawprawn 15:39 04 Feb 2007

If it was installed by windows installer you should be able to get rid of it using this program
click here

Kingfisher 16:31 04 Feb 2007

A last resort is to edit the registry, firstly create a system restore point, by pointing at start the programs then accessories the system tools then system restore,name it something like "b4 regedit"
next point at start then run then type regedit and hit ok, once in the registry under file menu click on export and export a copy of registry to desktop, you can then import it back if it all goes pear shaped. Now under edit click on find and enter text of program you are trying to delete, once found right click on value and delete entry, then press f3 to find any more instances of the program. once finished you should be clear of program ,exit regedit and reboot.
Take care when editing registry you can do serious harm to your pc if unsure about any entries that you find do not delete them.
Good luck

Technotiger 16:40 04 Feb 2007

'I used system restore which fixed the problem' - by skylark101 ... :-)

Strawballs 18:07 04 Feb 2007

Thanks Technotiger I take it you were emailed?

Technotiger 18:38 04 Feb 2007

Strawballs - no, I was not emailed! I simply read skylark101's last entry.

Strawballs 18:47 04 Feb 2007

I must write 100 line's "I must read all of the posts"

Technotiger 18:48 04 Feb 2007

Never mind - we all do it, don't we! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?