Software to monitor install & uninstall ?

csqwared 19:48 19 Feb 2006

Hi Folks

I am currently using part of the Norton suite (Norton System Works/Cleansweep) as amonitor for any application installs I carry out. I have found it a boon when it comes to uninstalling stuff no longer needed, often finding bits that the Windows Add/Remove option leaves behind. It's the only bit of the suite I have installed and I am soon to upgrade to XP Pro from Win98. Is there anything among the free utilities that will do the same job as I am reluctant to install Norton onto the new OS?

Stuartli 22:58 19 Feb 2006

DriveCleaner Pro (free) will do what you require:

click here

Particularly good for getting rid of old nVidia and ATi bits and bobs after uninstalling graphics drivers.

csqwared 18:07 20 Feb 2006

Thanks for your input but it's not quite what I was looking for, only seems to work with drivers. The Norton utility monitors the install, creates a log which is then useful should you have a problem with an uninstall. However your link did lead me to a utility (Total Uninstall) which seems to cover what I want although it's not freeware. Can't have everything I suppose eh. I'll leave unticked for the time being in case there are more ideas out there but thanks once again for your help.

cc

Coff 18:20 20 Feb 2006

Last freeware version of Total Uninstall click here

Trash it from click here but it's shareware.

csqwared 19:32 20 Feb 2006

Thanks coff, noted those links. Once I've got XP installed I'll have a further look at the links suggested by you and stuartli. Thanks again to you both.

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?