Software firewall + router query!

Flak999 16:31 11 May 2007

Does anybody know the answer to this one! I am using an Orange livebox (router) with its firewall set to the default setting of medium, I am also using the Zonealarm software firewall, when I carry out the firewall tests at the "Shields up" click here website I get the result of being in "stealth mode" using either just the router firewall or just the zonealarm firewall, or both!

Therefore, is there any benefit of having both firewalls turned on or just one of them? I do realise that Zonealarm provides outbound protection and the router does not, so would it be OK to turn off the router firewall?

Abra {tag28} 17:25 11 May 2007

The only real benefit of a software firewall in this situation is that you will be informed of any attacks. If you did the shields up test and there are no logs in Zonealarms attack history (or whatever they call it) then it is your router blocking it rather than Zonealarm.

So at the end of the day Zonealarm is just rendered pretty useless by any hardware firewall anyway. So you may aswell free up some resources and remove it.

Strawballs 21:39 11 May 2007

Software firewalls will also let you know if anything is trying to access the net from your computer that has not been cleared by you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?