software firewall or Hardware firewall

kindly 18:00 16 Dec 2006

Hi all. Advice needed about firewalls. I have Norton internet security 2006 on my laptop. On the desktop I have Zone Alarm pro. I use a netgear router for my wireless system. This has a built in firewall.
My question is "can I safely disable my firewall on both machines and just leave it to my router to do the job." I have disabled them and tried a port check on one of the speed test sites and that showed my system was invisable to the net in the past but always started up my firewalls again.
Hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

dms05 21:28 16 Dec 2006

Theoretically a Hardware Firewall is the best option but people use Software ones because they are cheaper. The Hardware one in your Router is very basic. Use your existing software ones in addition to the one in your router.

LastChip 22:35 16 Dec 2006

Whether the Firewall in kindly's router is very basic is open to question.

Often router firewalls are based on either Linux or BSD and are very much more secure than their Windows software equivalents. They are likely to be based on IP Tables and use Stateful Packet Inspection to allow or deny packets.

It is also likely to be able to be configured for port forwarding and vpn to name but two.

Some of these now verge on basic commercial strength.

By all means use a software firewall as well, but I can't see how one can make such a sweeping statement about the router.

kindly 22:52 16 Dec 2006

thanks for the input. So I guess that there will be no fighting against each other then, (the firewalls I mean). I will just leave well alone then and run both. After all I can always choose to let whoever or whatever into my machine.
Thanks for the input guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?