Software for Epson Stylus 4800 on Windows 7

Peter Lanky 20:20 16 Mar 2010

I am trying to help a friend over the phone but finding it difficult because I can't duplicate what he sees in front of him, and he isn't very strong on computers, and can't explain very wel whet he sees on his screen.

He has the above printer/scanner and using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. From the Epson site, he has been able to download the driver, and can see both the printer and scanner in control panel. The only other software available to download was 'Epson Easy Photo Print'. His printing appears to work OK but cannot use the scanner. He has the original disc that contains software called 'Epson Creativity suite' but gets a message saying that the software is incompatible with Windows 7 when trying to load it.

It appears to me that the has half the software he needs, but is missing the other half, but I've run out of ideas on how to advise further.

Sea Urchin 21:56 16 Mar 2010

You can select from here the appropriate drivers for your printer (Stylus CX4800 or Stylus Pro 4800) and you will see that there is more than one driver to download.

click here

This sounds like a good opportunity to use TeamViewer - click here - your friend saves the Join a Session module to the desktop, and you download the Full Version. Then you will be able to see and control their PC (with their co-operation).

Peter Lanky 22:50 16 Mar 2010

It's a DX4800. I didn't realise that there was more than one model with the same number. There is only one driver listed though click here

northumbria61 22:57 16 Mar 2010

First choose your Operating System from "Filter content by operating system" then download Driver (5.92) Save to desktop then click on to install.

MAJ 23:31 16 Mar 2010

I don't use Win 7, so I don't know what sort of graphics program it uses, but if your mate has a standalone graphics program, like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro or Irfanview, try selecting the scanner from in there. It'll be something like File > Select Twain Source, or, File > Import > Twain > Select Source. Then select the scanner in there.

Peter Lanky 08:23 17 Mar 2010

Northumbria, we've downloaded the driver already.

The link in my previous post has only 3 items, one being the driver (downloaded). Epson Easy Photo Print (downloaded) and Raw Plug-in (not required).

Maj, I'm guessing from the name that Epson Easy Photo Print has the same function as Photoshop etc, but I'll get him to try another programme.

My gut feeling still tells me there's something missing to replace. My initial guess is that Epson Easy Photo Print replaces Epson Creativity suite, because when he goes to start menu after installing the former, he is given similar menu options, but when he opens Epson File Manager, some of the functions are 'greyed out'.

Woolwell 10:12 17 Mar 2010

Easy Photo Print isn't a replacement for Creativity Suite. I suspect that he will have to scan through another program using the twain drivers as MAJ has suggested or try to use the Vista scan. See click here. If you scroll down until you see the DX4800 it states that the scan is Vista.
I haven't Windows 7 or the DX4800 so don't know if this will work.

Sea Urchin 10:21 17 Mar 2010

There is a Win7 driver for the printer as you have discovered, but Epson say you need to use the Vista driver for Epson Scan - both can be downloaded from here

click here

Peter Lanky 10:22 17 Mar 2010

The Vista Scan looks promising. I'll run through that with him tonight.

Peter Lanky 19:33 18 Mar 2010

The Vista software didn't work. It seems that Epson, having originally said that the vista driver would work with the scanner, they have now decided that it doesn't and might create a driver if they get round to it. He can scan via 'Paint', so he has a temporary solution there, but wants to use Epson software if possible.

However, I know that forum users are always finding ways round these niggles, so if anyone has, I'm open to listen to ideas.

Woolwell 21:19 18 Mar 2010

I don't use Windows 7 but is it possible to use the Vista software in compatibility mode? Someone else may be able to advise on the feasibility of that.
Otherwise I think you're stuck with using something like Paint or a photo editing program which can scan in photos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?