software for editing video footage

deejo 15:50 04 Apr 2011

Can anyone tell me the best software for editing small videos I have made using my digital camera, just 2 - 3 minute ones of around my garden, specifically I need to lighten the images as it appears very dark
thanks!

lotvic 21:44 04 Apr 2011

What OS? (XP, Vista, W7)
What is the file ext of videos from your camera? (.avi or .what?)
and what programs do you already have installed? (if you know what to look for, that is)

Condom 00:13 05 Apr 2011

For what you wish to do give the free program which comes with Windows a go, called Movie Maker. If you're using W7 you will need to download it but it is still free.

It is simple to use and if you make a copy of your video first then you cannot do any damage. It has facilities for lightening videos, they are pretty basic but they do work. I use it all the time for holiday videos and I get good results.

Condom 00:13 05 Apr 2011

For what you wish to do give the free program which comes with Windows a go, called Movie Maker. If you're using W7 you will need to download it but it is still free.

It is simple to use and if you make a copy of your video first then you cannot do any damage. It has facilities for lightening videos, they are pretty basic but they do work. I use it all the time for holiday videos and I get good results.

Dragon_Heart 01:56 05 Apr 2011

It has got better over the years and now comes with a quick video option were you simply download all you video and / or photo shots and it produces a quick and simple video.

You could also try another free software option called "Wax" click here

deejo 18:47 05 Apr 2011

Sorry to take so long to reply, I dont use my computer much! the videos say .avi and the operating system is window vista home premium, I will check this thread tomorrow night for replies, sorry to be so slow!

Condom 01:34 06 Apr 2011

I skipped from XP direct to Win 7 and missed out Vista so I am not sure if Movie Maker was integral with Vista but I think it was. You probably already have it on your computer so give it a go before you start spending money. If you don't have it download it free from Microsoft. As I said it is basic but it does the basic and much more. The minute I plug my video camera in it fnds it and downloads the video ready to do whatever you want with it.

deejo 14:30 06 Apr 2011

thanks so much I cant find it on my computer so I will download it as suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone