Software on DVD

User-01DB3158-C279-4074-97E6FF8FBCFBF42C 19:30 23 Nov 2005

I need to renew my anti-virus software (annual update subscription due to expire) & have found it a good a price but on DVD. I've only ever bought software on CD before. Are there any pros/cons. I have a combi-drive on my PC that will read DVDs.

ICF 19:54 23 Nov 2005

Make and model of drive?

jbp1982 19:55 23 Nov 2005

doesn't make any difference really.

The advantage I can see, is the number of disks is reduced, a cd-rom can fit 700mb where as a dvd can fit 4.7gig.

For instance Black and White 2 game, a friend bought the cd version, it comes on four cds. I bought the dvd one and it installs of just one dvd. The game is identical, no difference.

Totally-braindead 21:51 23 Nov 2005

Have to agree with jbp1982 theres no difference. As long as you have a DVD drive rather than a cd drive. Personally I use AVG, its good and its free and there are others as well that are also free. Used to have Norton but Symantic wouldn't give me support when I needed it even though I'd been paying the subscription because they said they didn't support older versions of their software and the money I paid for the subscription was only to allow me to download the updates.

€dstowe 21:58 23 Nov 2005

Few programs that you or I are likely to use are of a size that requires to be on a DVD. Are you sure this is genuine?

Totally-braindead 22:02 23 Nov 2005

€dstowe has a point there, I haven't seen an antivirus program on DVD as its small enough to fit on one CD. Thinking about it the only software I do have that is on a DVD is the newer games.

I only found the specific Application on DVD from one source. As I have since found it almost as inexpensively elsewhere on CD format I have gone ahead and order that. Thanks for your thoughts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone