software download problems

Lol36 08:35 04 Jul 2003

Hi.
I was advised to get in touch with you from idg.com about a problem that occured with a website called pc1click.com.
I received a email from this website claiming of a free pc diagnostics tool download that can identify the precise problems in your windows registry as you can determine exactly why your pc is suffering from many things,
so I downloaded this free software which I thought it might be somethink like software that you can use as virus software, after download it and run the software it scan the computer to find if there was any problems and to my supprise it come up with over 900 problems which I said to myself that count be right as to my knowledge the computer is running o`k there is no errors coming up on any application programs the windows shuts down and boot up o`k, I always use the computer scanning system regularly, so I count see how it come up with so many problems.
after it scan and then you click on to find out the problems it goes to there website and then it tells you to buy the main software, which I thought must be a con to buy it apart when I close the website and close the program then I had a problems, which when I click on the start program to go into another program the computer shutdown, so I decided to uninstall the program compltely, after that the computer was running o`k,
I main question is have you heard of this company and what is your views of this site and have any of your readers experience with this software.
there is no contact numbers on the website regarding this software.
I would like to hear from you about what you think about this situation.

Hope to hear from you soon.

thank you.

-pops- 08:45 04 Jul 2003

I can't find a reference to the website you refer to but it looks like you've been stung by what is sometimes called "scareware" which tell you that there is loads wrong with your machine and which it will put right if your buy the full version.

The truth is that there is most likely little wrong with your machine and if there is, there is no need to pay out to the scareware monger to get it fixed.

If you have any specific probelms with your computer you can post details here and the chances are someone will give you expert advice on how to fix it - for free!

Don't be misled into buying expensive and then useless software, even if it appears to be free when you first see it.

Always work on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, like I do.

One bit of advice - never respond to unsolicited emails, especially if you don't recognise the company they are from.

Brian

Andsome 08:55 04 Jul 2003

I agree 100% with -pops-, I have on the odd occasion in the past been looking round at various sites, when a warning has come up, stating that an error has been detected, and that I should download something or other to put it right. E-mails from ANY website should also always be ignored and deleted unless it is something that you have subscribed to. No respectable company will EVER e-mail you unless you have dealt with them in the past, in which case you may well receive legitimate special offers as I do from time to time from e.g Virgin Wines, Laithwates Wines, 7 day Shop, Choice Stationery etc, all reputable company's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone