Software counterfeiting

Spr 21:10 25 Apr 2006

I have just ran update on my machine it now tell me I may not have a genuine copy when I go to Microsoft wed site the tell me it will cost me £92.00 to upgrade.
I thought I had already paid for the licence unfortunaly I was not supplied with a copy of Window XP it was one of these pre-installed packages.

Can anyone tell me what I should do.

I have had the machine for about 4 years never encountered this problem before

lotvic 22:11 25 Apr 2006

were you supplied with the Product Key?

What make is your pc? some do come ready installed with no cd but have a 'restore cd' and also sometimes it is on a hidden partition on your hard drive and you have to burn your own cd.

Skills 22:19 25 Apr 2006

Do have have a license key sticker on your machine?

Spr 08:27 26 Apr 2006

I dont have any Product Key Number not that i can see. I purchased it from a local Computer shop which has ceased to trade.
is there any way of getting rid of this annoying pop that appears on loading in

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:40 26 Apr 2006

'I purchased it from a local Computer shop which has ceased to trade'...I have experienced this many times. The number of computers that I see which have been bought from a 'local shop' and XP is *ahem* not an original version, is legendary. This is one reason that I never buy from 'local shops' and always encourage people to buy from PCW. I have never encountered a counterfeit software problem from PCW.

It might be worth ringing MS again and fully explaining the situation as I believe that there was an amnesty some time ago although I may be getting confused. If you do phone it is worth noting that it is not MS's fault and they are well within their rights to charge.

G

fleamailman 08:57 26 Apr 2006

I am sure this site cannot help you beyond the given line of pay up, and in order for you to pay up I would suggest choosing the right words, focusing on the obstickcal and googling them and if that fails to find a cheaper way to pay then perhaps a walkaround the garden.

spuds 13:02 26 Apr 2006

There was an amnesty, but I think that offer as now ceased. Still worth contacting Microsoft, and asking for their advice.

saintorsinner 15:55 26 Apr 2006

to remove pop up untill you get a licenced copy delete windows update kb905474

lotvic 19:31 26 Apr 2006

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. click here

when you have got it then you can check with microsoft support whether it really is/is not an illegal version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?