Socket type Mismatch error

Narayan Adhikari 17:32 28 Aug 2008

Hi,

When I tried to connect a laptop on our broadband public hub the network adaptor picks up an APIPA address. When I tried release/renew the IP it displays the error while renewing saying 'The specified socket type does not exist in this address family'

How can I resolve this issue?

mgmcc 21:30 28 Aug 2008

If your laptop is getting an APIPA address, this suggests that you haven't actually "Connected" to the wireless network properly in order to get a correct address.

Narayan Adhikari 12:43 29 Aug 2008

But other laptops connected to the same cable/port gets the ip address in the range 192.168... which is our broadband network. Only that particular laptop behaves like that (with APIPA and Socket type error).

mgmcc 13:17 29 Aug 2008

In the problem Laptop, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here. It might just give a hint as to the problem.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

L8-tian 20:28 29 Aug 2008

hi,
Remove all the preffered networks before connecting to your network.Just highlight the network name one by one and click on remove.

Since others computers are working fine with wireless,there is no problem in broad band.

Narayan Adhikari 08:23 30 Aug 2008

Im' not talking about wireless here, but wired ethernet LAN.

brundle 11:57 30 Aug 2008

Ensure the DHCP client service is running.
click here

Check for the other things mentioned in the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?