Socket 939 retainer housing

User-312386 17:33 22 Jul 2007

Hi all

I have a little bit of a problem. When trying to remove the heatsink and fan from my socket 939 processor, the retaining plastic housing has snapped. click here for a picture of what i mean.

Does anyone know where you can buy these from as i am at a loss. I have searched hi and low and you guys are my last hope.

Many thanks

Madboy

jimv7 18:49 22 Jul 2007

Why not email the motherboard manufacturer, not a lot to lose.

Totally-braindead 18:57 22 Jul 2007

Or as another suggestion ask at you local computer shop. He might have an old board lying about heading for the bin and for a couple of quid might let you nick the socket.

If you have the bit thats broken off you could try glueing it but I'm an aeromodeller and have many different types of glues and none of them would glue this type of plastic well enough that I would trust it.

Best bet is your local PC shop.

User-312386 19:06 22 Jul 2007

The part that broke off was 2 millimeters so nothing would stick that back properly

ICF 19:39 22 Jul 2007

Loads of 939 motherboards on ebay click here

LastChip 20:44 22 Jul 2007

can't be replaced. But like you, I can't come up with a vendor.

There are I believe, some heat-sink/fan combinations that fit directly to the motherboard, so that may be worth investigation if all else fails. Or, simply design your own clip to utilize the remaining retaining clips.

Totally-braindead 20:49 22 Jul 2007

I broke something off one of my PCs a few years ago, can't recall what it was but went into my small local PC shop, spoke to the owner and asked if he had an old PC lying about I could get that bit off for a few quid. Got what I needed for a couple of quid, it was no skin off his nose as there was no way I was going to buy a new PC just for that and it was going in the bin anyway.

Totally-braindead 20:55 22 Jul 2007

Found this click here they do exist. Now obviously thats the US and its out of stock anyway but someone must stock them in the UK.

ICF 07:35 23 Jul 2007

Why not just buy a cheap motherboard and take off the socket have a look on ebay there are many to choose from

umbongo(uk) 16:49 23 Jul 2007

as brain point,s out its mainly the us store,s that sell em i checked all the oc site,s i know and ziltch i do know thermaltake sell em but again youll have to trawl the web for outlets they provide

in your picture the retainer clip looks fine even if one has snapped off
just get a pair of needle nose pliers and tilt the heatsink retention clip back a touch so it makes contact with the clasp

User-312386 17:24 23 Jul 2007

In the picture it is hard to see, as it cleanly snapped off, giving it that appearance, the 2mm that has snapped off is the difference for the heatsink just pulling straight off as you pull the lever over.

I think ill try PCA towers and speak to Peter.

Thanks guys.

P.S I know i could buy a cheap mobo for £20 but i am going to give away this old computer to my friends sister who has no money, so trying to limit costings

Thanks for all your help.

Madboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache