SO SLOW ..........................................

MOKES 11:53 17 Jul 2006

I AM A RELATIVE NOVICE WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS, HOWEVER EVEN I KNOW THAT MY COMPUTER IS SO SLOW WHEN IT IS SWITHCED ON. IT TAKES AGES FOR IT TO BOOT UP AND IT'S DRIVING ME MAD.
WHAT CAN I DO ??
ANY IDEAS ??

nob14 11:54 17 Jul 2006

start then RUN MSCONFIG, in the startup tab close all things you don't need starting with windows.

Jackcoms 12:03 17 Jul 2006

This will help you decide what should and what should not run at startup click here

Also clean out all the crap with click here and defrag the HDD.

When did you last run full AV and anti-malware scans?

terryf 12:17 17 Jul 2006

FYI
If you use all caps, it is considered to be shouting and may be considered to be rude.

wee eddie 16:29 17 Jul 2006

How long does it take, in minutes and seconds, from pushing the button to Windows being available for use?

A long time or ages is not a suitable answer, as us knowing how long your PC takes to boot, can give an idea of what might be happening.

wee eddie 12:45 18 Jul 2006

Thanks for your mail; I have included your text below as most of these threads are followed by others who are interested but do not necessarily wish to post.

"After timing it last night, it took 2 mins 45 secs. Any ideas??"

I have just done the same test. I run NIS and it gives me a pop-up saying when everything is loaded. Here are my results.

Full Desktop visible: 1 min 20sec

Egg timer icon finished: 1min 50sec.

NIS - All programs loaded screen: 2min 45secs.

So your figure is not that unusual.

If you wish to reduce it a little Get a pencil & Paper to note down what you have done as unremembered errors can cause "mucho heartache" > Make a System Restore Point > type msconfig into the Run Box > view the Start-up and the Services Tabs > un-tick a couple, no more, of the least essential items (often from programs that you may no longer use) and Close msconfig.

Turn off the PC. Turn on again and repeat the process. Only remove from the Start Up process items that you can identify as unneeded. Others may add to what I have told you here but realistically speaking you are only going to remove 10 or 20 seconds at the very most.

I believe that "flecc" got his "Strewth" interface to boot in about 30 seconds but stripping down windows is not for most of us plebes

DJsmoothmoney 16:35 20 Jul 2006

add more RAM. This makes the startup process quicker.

Garfield2 16:45 20 Jul 2006

I've got a similar problem. (I'm not very computer-literate either!) To add some more RAM (memory?)does the hard drive have to be taken to a pc shop?

wee eddie 17:04 20 Jul 2006

I am not certain that you can back that statement up as a fact unless "MOKES" is desperately short and I'm running 1GB RAM.

Assuming he has 512MB then it is all down to the number of programs that boot on Start-up and the speed of his Processor & Hard Drive (its level of fragmentation and how full it is).

Defragging your HDD (Hard Drive) might shorten the Start-up time. But then you probably do this either weekly or monthly anyway

GaT7 18:09 20 Jul 2006

If you ask me, NIS is the main culprit here (I would have said the same even if you didn't post the times).

Untick everything to do with NIS (there may be 4-5 items or more) in msconfig > Startup list, then time your start up.

IMHO 2min 45secs is not that bad really. I suggest after switching on: get yourself a glass of water (or hot drink in colder weather) / visit the loo / give your partner a cuddle / etc / etc. You'll be pleasantly surprised how fast your PC begins to boot up : ) G

DJsmoothmoney 16:04 01 Aug 2006

to get more RAM buy some RAM memory that is compatible with your Motherboard. Usually the Place to put the RAM will be on the top Right of the Motherboard. It Place it inside the little black container and close the white plastic latches. Turn your computer on and see if it works. If it doesn't get a professional to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?