SMTP server not responding

griffo 17:38 05 Jan 2006

one of our laptops (small LAN - all on XP) is getting either/both SMTP or POP3 timeout messages, yet all the other PC's are sending/receiving emails OK.

Have tried deleting and reinstalling the account password (read that might be the cause), didn't work.

Can anyone please advise?

Skyver 17:41 05 Jan 2006

If you're getting timeout errors then passwords aren't the issue. What happens if you bring up a command prompt and type `ping <your pop server name>` - any lost packets?

griffo 19:58 05 Jan 2006

thanks for the reply, will try this tomorrow when back in the office. Do I go to 'start, run, ping <pop server name>?

Skyver 20:04 05 Jan 2006

You can either use the Run command from start menu, type `cmd` then type the ping command, or select All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt and type it (same thing). Just to clarify, if your email address ended blueyonder.co.uk you'd type `ping pop3.blueyonder.co.uk` - look for your specific pop3 server details in your account settings.

griffo 21:57 05 Jan 2006

do I ping the incoming or the outgoing, they're different. Forgive me querying but surely pinging checks connectivity or somesuch and it's only this one laptop that has the problem, the rest of us can connect both incoming and outgoing.

woodchip 22:05 05 Jan 2006

The account settings must be wrong

woodchip 22:06 05 Jan 2006

If you can Connect to the Net then it's got to be the settings in above

griffo 22:16 05 Jan 2006

Hi Woodchip,

didn't try the internet, this PC has been behaving fine until late afternoon today. I'm puzzled how any settings could have become altered but will check them all in the morning.

Thanks so far, any other thoughts are always welcome.

cheers

griffo 20:35 06 Jan 2006

Well, I feel a bit of a fraud today, when we switched the problem Laptop on today, Outlook Express worked just fine!

So we don't know what caused it or what fixed it. However, as always, I really appreciate the kind help given. Sorry I can't indicate what solved it.

cheers

woodchip 20:38 06 Jan 2006

Is it Wireless??? if so it may not have been connected to router

griffo 23:00 06 Jan 2006

We do have a wireless router but this Laptop was using a cable connection at the time, actually it was the first thing I checked, as I use wireless and the router does 'drop out' from time to time and need re-booting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?