SMTP problem since changing ISP

Pineman100 12:14 20 Mar 2011

I use Windows Live Mail under Windows 7.

I recently changed my ISP - discontinued Tiscali/Talk Talk and switched to BT.

I still successfully receive emails on my old Tiscali email address, but if I try to reply to them I always get the following report:

The connection to the server has failed.

Subject 'Whatever'
Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10013

I understand that this error means I cannot contact the Tiscali SMTP server (I've also tried pinging it without success).

Does this mean that Tiscali have discontinued my rights to send emails on that account?

lotvic 12:33 20 Mar 2011

email address issued by your previous Internet Service Provider
click here for the settings you need.

Woolwell 13:43 20 Mar 2011

Try using the BT smtp for the Tiscali e-mail address. Don't change the pop. This should work. The snag maybe that recipients of your old Tiscali account appear to get a message with a BT address.

BTW it is usual to have to change smtp when changing ISP.

Pineman100 14:09 20 Mar 2011

Thanks very much to you both.

I've worked my way through the instructions on lotvic's link and followed BT's instructions to verify the Tiscali account. I still don't seem to be able to send emails, but I may have done something stupid (knowing me!).

I have to go out now but will try again later.

Batch 16:43 20 Mar 2011

I've recently done similar (switching from Tiscali dial-up to BT BB) for a neighbour (but using OE rather than WinLiveMail).

Followed the info. in the BT Yahoo link (in fact I used click here which might be a bit clearer).

Really boils down to two key steps (in addition to autheticating yourself to BT) :

1. Set the SMTP (outgoing server) for the Tiscali email account as mail.btinternet.com

2. Enable (with BT) the Tiscali email address to be used over BT servers (this is the key difference between BT and other ISPs which don't require you to do this).

As far as Woolwell's comment "The snag maybe that recipients of your old Tiscali account appear to get a message with a BT address" - this should not be a problem. I assume that in WinLiveMail (like OE) you can select the "From" id when constructing an email. Or, if you leave Tiscali as the default email account, it should be sent "From" using the Tiscali email address (but over the BT servers).

Woolwell 17:03 20 Mar 2011

The only reason that I mentioned the snag is that when I changed from Orange to Virgin my previous Orange e-mails appear to be sent from Virgin inspite of having selected the Orange account.

Batch 18:09 20 Mar 2011

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't imply any criticism of you mentioning it. I just don't believe that it should be an issue. It's not an issue for my neighbours (and they are using Tiscali email account over BT servers). Similarly I use Tiscali, Onetel, Freeserve, LineOne and Gmail accounts over PlusNet servers (and previously over UKOnline servers), all without any probs.

Woolwell 21:30 20 Mar 2011

Wasn't taking it as a criticism. Useful comment from you. It may be that I had a snag because I moved to Virgin.

Strawballs 21:35 20 Mar 2011

I have recently done this for a friend it is mail.btinternet.com in both boxes

Pineman100 09:03 21 Mar 2011

I checked through all the new SMTP settings that I'd made, but couldn't find anything wrong. I checked that my old Tiscali email address was verified on my BT account. But I still couldn't send emails from my old Tiscali account in WLM.

However, I then re-read the link that Batch had given me above, and noticed that the BT SMTP server could use either port 25 or port 587. My account was set to port 25 so I changed it to 587.

Bingo! It worked!

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice.

Batch 10:25 21 Mar 2011

That's great - must be a relief for you.

Strange about port 587 though - I didn't need to do that for my neighbours. Wonder why it needs to be done in some cases and not in others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?