SMTP authentication required (state 14.)

Phrixos 18:37 13 May 2010

(Vista & Windows Mail)

Whenever I try to send a message—to one particular recipient only—it bounces back with a

"PERMANENT FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 530 530 SMTP authentication is required. (state 14).

Quite frankly, I haven't a clue what that means and the info I'm getting from searches only confuses me further.

When the email address is the person's website ([email protected]) what does "contact the other email provider" mean?

And how do I fix this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sea Urchin 21:12 13 May 2010

You need to authenticate your server. In Windows Mail go to Tools - Accounts - highlight your mail account and click Properties. Go to Servers tab and check the box beside My server requires authentication - click Apply and OK.

Phrixos 22:39 13 May 2010

That's just it. My server has been authenticated all along. And yet I can't send this very important message.

But I'm grateful for your attempt.
Any other suggestions?

(What does "contact the other email provider/server" mean? How do I know who the other email provider is?)

Sea Urchin 10:02 14 May 2010
  Phrixos 10:20 14 May 2010
  Sea Urchin 10:27 14 May 2010

If it's her own website then it may mean that the site is down at present - maybe for maintenance etc. If you have another means of contacting her then you could verify that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?