SMART warning and backup query

CurlyWhirly 00:32 06 Feb 2006

Recently I have had quite a few SMART warnings as shown in my screenshot below:

click here

These are related to the 'Seek Error rate' which I am lead to believe means that my hard drive is on it's way out.

I use 'Drive Image 7' for making or restoring backups and I am wondering whether I need to format my new drive which has never been used?

I am due to upgrade to a 64 bit PC within 12 months or so but according to the SMART utility my hard drive is due to reach TEC in July so I have to plan ahead just in case.

The new drive is larger than my current one at 160 Gb.
I don't want to mess around formatting it if I don't really need to so does anyone know if a new hard drive needs to be formatted before cloning software can make use of it?

Thanks in advance :0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:34 06 Feb 2006

You will need to format any drive before you can use it.

As you probably know there are different kinds of file system used by computers XP can use NTFS or FAT
Win 98/ ME can only use FAT.
Macs use something different I believe. Formating is done by the operating system to beable to use the drive.

Defrag and run check disk on the old drive it will help to reduce the SMART erors.

CurlyWhirly 09:43 06 Feb 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat.

I was referring to whether I needed to format the NEW hard drive in order to restore my DI7 backup!

However your response is interesting as I think you are saying that if you keep getting 'Seek Error' rate SMART errors, then running check disk will help reduce the SMART errors?

Also what about reformatting my current hard drive and restoring the backup or will check disc do just as good a job?

I am running XP Home Edition by the way.

CurlyWhirly 09:46 06 Feb 2006

p.s. I forgot to say that I don't get the SMART errors EVERY time I boot up only occasionally but the same month (July) is always shown as a TEC date which is a bit worrying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone