SMART Failure predicted

Pier1 11:49 06 Nov 2004

Stupid move:
Trying to copy a CD-ROM onto hard drive because a scratch stopped me from reading the sodding thing.

Resulting predicament:
PC crashes and despite working ok since, the following error message appears on startup
"SMART Failure predicted on Hard Disk... Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to Continue"

In my stubbornness I have been pressing F1 for a couple of months, but now a proper look at it is well overdue. I have backed up all my data and am ready to try anything to rescue the drive.

Is there any way of doing this, to prevent buying a new hard drive? Might reformatting do anything? (about to try that now...) Any other ideas?

///A M G 12:04 06 Nov 2004

Saddly, if its a Dell, its gonna go wrong now, or very soon.

Thats why SMART is there. If you have extended warranty or have had the computer for under 1 year, they will fix it free.

Pier1 12:17 06 Nov 2004

It's an HP Brio machine, but I upgraded the hard drive to a Maxtor 60Gb jobby a couple of years ago. Of course the easiest thing is to shell out on a new one, but I want to try and avoid that if poss...

///A M G 12:20 06 Nov 2004

Try this then:

Reformatting the hard Drive.

And Possible partion the hard drive. 30Gb and £3Gb

If not, I would reccoment buying a new HDD, 60Gb would now only cos about £30-50

Pier1 12:37 06 Nov 2004

Cheers, having a go...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:39 06 Nov 2004

Before you reformat

Try a Scandisk and defrag--- SMART adds up bad clusters and reports faulty at a certain level scan and defrag may recover those clusters and the message will disappear.

Pier1 15:43 07 Nov 2004

Thanks, but I have already repartitioned from 3 drives back to one and reformatted. Message still there. I'm about reainstate c,d and e partitions and reinstall XP, then I'll defrag. However I originally defragged as soon as the problem first appeared and it made no difference so I don't expect it will this time.

I'll carry on using the PC for now while looking for a replacement hard disk, my stuff's backed up anyway.

In the mean time other ideas are still welcome!

Rayuk 17:04 07 Nov 2004

Have you checked the warranty on it could be for 3 years
Best thing to do is download Maxtor diagnostics run it see if it comes up with an error code.

I beleive with Maxtor you can give them your card details and they send out a drive then you send rma drive back to them within a certain time and your card doesnt get debited.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires