Small PC - where to buy from?

o44wen 15:07 27 Feb 2006

Hi folk I am looking to buy a small PC for use by my mother, all i need is Windows XP, a DVD writer, and USB ports, which is nearly always standard. It need to be space saving and NOT an Apple. Something build into a monitor would be nice but i have not noticed any of these about apart from Apples. I dont really want a laptop, a nice cheap PC is what i need, hopefully for well under 500 quid.

I have saw some PC's in my local hospital and clinic which the monitor sort of hooks onto the front of the small PC box with a side loading CD drive a bit like if you place the PS2 on its side.

Thank for help in advance

Fingees 15:30 27 Feb 2006

Go to

click here

De Marcus™ 15:31 27 Feb 2006

Check the verso range from novatech click here

Batch 16:01 27 Feb 2006

you could also try click here, click here or even click here

be careful with all the bottom end PCs (wherever you buy) - make sure thay include everything you want. A lot of the headline grabbing prices do not include a monitor.

PureMoltenEvil 18:49 27 Feb 2006

i've tried every one of the above click here recommendations - all have terrible backup if something goes wrong. I bought a new Fujitsu PC from PC World in Jan - it wasn't the cheapest and the TV card didn't work when I got it, however, their telephone support was fantastic and they sent a guy round within a week who replaced the card in five minutes. He was on time and very polite. This is your mother remember!!

Diodorus Siculus 19:10 27 Feb 2006

I have to say that I can't agree with PureMoltenEvil - Novatech have been very good on both price and service each time I've used them.

They produce good quality machines at a reasonable price.

Aldi still have a few Medions around also - may be worth a look.

wjrt 21:52 27 Feb 2006
  o44wen 22:10 27 Feb 2006

wjrt - that is wonderful! However just a bit out of budget, maybe i am looking to spend too little.

I also found the one that our health service uses, the OptiPlex GX620, but that again is way over my budget at 1000 quid. A mini mac would be better.

I just think i might not bother buying a PC for her, she can just carry on using mine

Strawballs 09:57 28 Feb 2006

I have to agree with Diodorus Siculus Novatech have always been first class with me.

Dellman 10:03 28 Feb 2006

Have you tried MESH???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?