Small Network

aidanone 20:41 09 Feb 2006

Hello,

I have been asked to setup a small network of 10PC's. At this time a shared internet connection is not needed. And they are only being connected so that they can access shared files and a printer. But i have a few questions before i can begin.

If all the pcs are loaded with XP Home can they be connected?
Is it best to set them as a work group, with static IP's? And if so, what IP range should I use?
What is the best form of virus protection to load on them?

If anyone has can help me or has any further advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

aidanone 10:22 10 Feb 2006

Has anyone have any advise/ideas for this network?

mgmcc 19:04 10 Feb 2006

<<< If all the pcs are loaded with XP Home can they be connected? >>>

No, XP "Home Edition" supports a maximum of *FIVE* computers in a network. To connect a larger number in a single network, you will need to run XP "Professional".

<<< Is it best to set them as a work group, with static IP's? And if so, what IP range should I use? >>>

Yes, they need to be in the same Workgroup and, in the absence of internet involvement, there will be no DHCP server to allocate IP addresses. Fixed addresses will be required. For example:

192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.10

or

10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.10

and a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 can be used with either.

<<< What is the best form of virus protection to load on them? >>>

You don't say where this network is being used. There are free AV programs for personal home use, but the licensing terms generally forbid their use for business/commercial use.

geewis357 19:21 10 Feb 2006

If you are not connected to the internet you do not need any form of virus protection. I was given to understand that the max size of a workgroup was 10.

mgmcc 19:45 10 Feb 2006

Notwithstanding that there is no internet access, I would suggest that, if files are received from external sources on removable media - floppy, CD, DVD, USB drives etc - then there is still a requirment for AntiVirus software.

<<< I was given to understand that the max size of a workgroup was 10. >>>

According to this Microsoft article, the maximum number of inbound connections to a single PC is 5 for Home Edition and 10 for Professional. However, it is also my understanding (and I have had feedback confirming this) Home Edition only sees *five* PCs when a greater number is connected to the network

h t t p : / /
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314882

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?