Small LAN problem with 3 Xp comps to a 98

mjw 11:50 05 Oct 2003

Hey,

We have 4 computers in the house. 3 of them are on XP, and the 4th is running 98se. We thought we would network them together and share a broadband internet connection.

All our computers are connected via a HUB. The XP machines all work with each other ok, and share an internet connection with no problems. But i cant get the 98 machine to work.

We ran the network wizard on the XP machines ok, but on the 98 machine the wizard crashes. I have tried adding various network protocals on the 98 machine but nothing seems to work.

Ive got a very basic understanding of what im doing, im not sure what settings i need for the 98 machine. Can anyone please tell me step by step how to get this 98 machine on our network and sharing the internet.

A15 12:02 05 Oct 2003

I have done this, but it was a long time ago. I may be wrong but double check the following:

1) Your 98 PC has to be set to logon using one of the networking services (Microsoft Windows logon, I think) & make sure the password you use in the logon box is the same of that on your XP machines.

2) Install IPX/SPX protocol on your XP machines.

3) Make sure all your files/printers are set to share & that the relevant folders on your hard drives are shared.

4) You may also need to set up permissions on the XP machines, to allow the 98 machine access.

As I say it has been a while since I have done this, so I may be totally off the mark in which case somebody else in here will be able to help you out, but the above is worth checking! Good luck.

spikeychris 12:02 05 Oct 2003

Can you ping the 98 machine? whats it say when you type netstat into run on one of the XP machines?

mjw 12:31 05 Oct 2003

i followed all the steps but it didnt allow the XP machines to see the 98 machine, or share the internet.

We cant ping the 98 machine, but it can sometimes connect to network games. I ran netstat on an XP machine and the following came up:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mick>netstat

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP michael:3670 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3671 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3672 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3676 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3677 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3678 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3679 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3680 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3681 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3682 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT
TCP michael:3683 michael.mshome.net:2869 TIME_WAIT

I dont know if i need to edit the properties of any of the active protocals, ive no idea what to do.

mjw 12:52 05 Oct 2003

All the computers can now see each other in network neighbourhood. File sharing is enabled, and folders are being shared. But the XP machines cant access the 98 computer and the 98 computer cant access the XP machines. They can only see each other.

What can i do now?

What internet options do i need enabled on the 98 machine so it can access the internet through an XP machine?

mjw 12:54 05 Oct 2003

How do i set up permissions on the XP machines to allow the 98 computer to access the files? and vise versa for the 98 machine so that the XP machines can access the 98 shared files?

mjw 14:22 05 Oct 2003

The hub that all the Pcs are going through are all flashing in sync but they weren't before

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?