Small IDE Cable issue

Chris-Johns 14:59 23 Oct 2009

Hi all.

I currently have an issue with IDE cables for my harddrive and cd-rom. I earlier bought a Geforce GTX260 but the thing is huge and i have 2 small IDE cables in the way (a red one and a blue one) however ive not seen these types before (around half a inch in width each.

Is there another possibly way to attatch these?

Thanks

Chris-Johns 15:05 23 Oct 2009

its one of these

click here

is it possible to buy a standard IDE cable ( the large 2 inch like ones) and use instead? there appears to be a connector.

Stuartli 15:51 23 Oct 2009

You are talking about SATA cables. See:

click here

on how to incorporate them into your system (SATA is faster than PATA/IDE) if the hard drive and/or optical drive are SATA units.

You will/may need to install SATA drivers (these should be included with motherboard drivers) from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

IDE cables are becoming a bit more difficult to find these days, especially the longer ones such as 60cm, and there are benefits to be gained from SATA.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 23 Oct 2009

I assume you mean the SATA cables are currently connected but are too short to extend round the new graphics card and still reach the drives.

SATA cables can be purchased in different lengths s two new longer cables will solve your problem.

woodchip 16:57 23 Oct 2009

Are the cables Round, or the 2inch Flat ribbon type?

retep888 17:38 23 Oct 2009

Both ends angled click here

One end angled click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?