small home network problem

moggers 21:35 15 Jan 2008

Im trying to set up a small network (~2 pcs) Ive set up the router and the host pc works but the pc upstairs doesnt even give me an option for a network, when i click to network connections it doesnt show any connections at all the screen is blank my question is do i have to install any software onto the pc upstairs? I presumed that the network wizard would find the connection maybe the nic is knackered? I pinged the comp and that seemed OK, any other suggestions?

skidzy 21:42 15 Jan 2008

Wired or wireless network ?

Have you tried using Control Panel and the Network setup wizard.

moggers 21:45 15 Jan 2008

wired its a linksys router too if that helps, yes I used the network setup wizard but only on the second machine?

ambra4 21:49 15 Jan 2008

Have you set up the lan card on the second pc

Check this posting

click here

skidzy 21:50 15 Jan 2008

Try from the host pc and add the second pc to your network.click here
click here

moggers 10:21 16 Jan 2008

thanks for the post skidzy, I actually used an ethernet cable 10m in length from the router to the pc upstairs rather than a plug outlet this isnt too long is it? im not going back till next week just want to be armed with as much info as i can before i go back. Thanks for the info everyone this is an invaluable forum.

Squirrel1 08:45 23 Jan 2008

I had my laptop networked via a wireless router and network switch, to my desktop computer.
Since I changed my AV program (Norton) which is working fine. I cannot share any files between the computers.
I am running a program called synergy which allows two computers to share the same mouse & keyboard. This is working, so the computers must be networked. But, I cannot share or move files between the two computers.
All I want to do is be able to move files between the two computers and share the printer connected to the desktop machine.

Graham. 09:29 23 Jan 2008

Different problem. May I suggest you start a new topic 'File and Printer sharing'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?