Small Home Network

dogbreath1 20:55 25 Mar 2008

I'm trying to network three home computers [A], [B] & [C] to share files and a printer.

[A] = XP Home PC connected by ethernet to wireless router and to Printer by USB.
[B] = XP Home PC connected wirelessly to same router
[C] = Vista Home Prem. Laptop connected wirelessly to same router.

So far:-

[A] can 'see' [B] & [C] and can share their files.
[C] can 'see' [A] & [B], can share their files and can use the printer.
[B] can 'see' [C] and can share those files. However, [B] can 'see' [A], but cannot 'see' or access shared files or the printer.

On machine [B], double clicking the icon for [A] in My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers, results in a prompt for a password.

The machines have the Guest Account enabled, the Network Wizard has been run on them all but I can't get over this (hopefully) last hurdle.

Help most welcome.

Cheers,

db.

sunny staines 20:59 25 Mar 2008

just had a similar problem yesterday, it was a corrupted dll in norton security had to reinstall it.

try reinstall of your AV / firewall.

i was going round in circles running the network wizard and permissions re shared folders etc.

dogbreath1 21:07 25 Mar 2008

Thanks for that. Out of interest, which was the problem machine, was it [A], [B] or [C], if you see what I mean?!

I'll then give it a try and post back.

Cheers,

db.

sunny staines 21:31 25 Mar 2008

click here

this was my post.

the pc could access the wi fi laptop. but the laptop could see the pc and its folders but could not access the files in the folders.
even with the firewall/av disabled still had the problem. installed them then access was ok. re installed and all ok. not sure what caused it. i have since run ccleaner, eusing reg cleaner, iobit awc3 beta 1.1 and it still works suspect was glary utilities which took away the shares on the folders after a database update.

sunny staines 21:32 25 Mar 2008

should read unistalled the firewall / AV and all was ok

dogbreath1 22:44 25 Mar 2008

Have just reinstalled AV (Avast) but the problem remains.

On machine [B], double clicking the icon for [A] in My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers, results in a prompt for a password.

Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers,

db.

dogbreath1 19:03 26 Mar 2008

One last bump just in case a network wizard walks by! ;

MAJ 19:07 26 Mar 2008

Enter the PCs IP Addresses into each others Trusted Zone in your firewall software.

dogbreath1 19:22 26 Mar 2008

Thanks MAJ (Tony?). Have got ZoneAlarm installed on all three machines with 'MSHOME' placed in the 'Trusted Zone' using the IP address range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5. That OK?

MAJ 20:07 26 Mar 2008

Hi dogbreath1, yes Tony is correct. The IP range should be okay, I just use individual IP Addresses as I only have two PCs in the network.

woodchip 20:13 26 Mar 2008

Have you run the Network Wizard in the Control Panel on one of the XP computer. I would first do it on the one with printers connected. Turn on all Computers and Printers before running the above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?