Small Business Web Site

onokeck 23:21 02 Oct 2007

My wife and her colleague operate a healthcare business and would like to develope a web site. They met with a web designer and were quoted an all-in price of £525 for a simple web site.Is this realistic? They are a fledgeling business and only want to make their presence known via the www, but of course have to "watch their pennies". Some folks have said, "Why not set up your own web site?" I'm afraid that is way beyond my expertise - I wouldn't know where to begin. Can anyone out there give me a little simple advise as to what we might do? Do we go with the experts at £££ or do a "jerry-rig" DIY? Your sensible replies will be appreciated. Casey

Forum Editor 00:04 03 Oct 2007

of computer-literacy can design a website, but there's a difference between a website that's designed for a bit of fun and one that has to earn its living as a shop window for a business.

The figure you have been quoted is perfectly reasonable for an average starter site, but to be honest it's difficult to be more helpful without knowing a lot more about what's included in that figure. Only you can judge whether the expenditure is likely to be warranted, and don't forget that the design fee isn't the end of it - you'll have to register a domain name, and pay for a hosting package. Those items aren'tgoing to break the bank, but you'll want to update the site at regular intervals, and the cost can start adding up.

If you have the enthusiasm, the time, and a bit of money for some software you may find site design a rewarding experience, but there's a learning curve associated with even the simplest of sites.

Mull it over, and if you want any further help or advice just ask.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?