Sluggish system

m800afc 20:24 14 Mar 2008

Win XP Pro SP2
I have noticed of late that my computer is running slow. I have cleaned out the dross with CCleaner. I have also run Spybot S&D, AdAware2007, Avast, AVG7.5,
and HijackThis. None of these show any problems. I am unable to boot into safe mode at all and none of my many system restore points show in the SR calendar. Also, when typing, the input does not always appear on the screen, as if there was a buffer overflow.
The only change to the system has been the installation of new O2 software, although I think this may be a coincidence. Any ideas as to what I can try next?

Ashrich 20:58 14 Mar 2008

Try uninstalling the O2 software , if it makes no difference then it may be time to back up all you need to keep and have a good clear out , a reformat and reload of XP , and then put back all your programs and data .

Ashley

m800afc 22:04 14 Mar 2008

I did a full backup using Acronis TI about a fortnight ago. Is it possible to reinstall only those system files that are required, such as old system restore files. If it is possible which files should I reinstall from the .tib file?

m800afc 22:59 14 Mar 2008

I have just discovered my original Win XP PRO OEM disk. Is it possible to simply "repair" windows rather than a complete reinstall? If so what is the best way of going about it?

Ashrich 20:07 15 Mar 2008

You can try a repair , boot from the CD and don't accept the first repair offer ( from a command prompt ) but wait for the second ( when being offered to load Windows ) BUT make sure that the repair is being offered , sometimes it isn't ( sometimes Windows doesn't see a fault and only asks if you want to install , not repair ) in which case it will overwrite everything without giving you the chance to do a back up . As for Acronis , I can't answer those questions as I don't use it .

Ashley

Clapton is God 20:16 15 Mar 2008

"I have also run Spybot S&D, AdAware2007, Avast, AVG7.5"

Are you running TWO AV programs?

That may be the problem.

sunny staines 21:50 15 Mar 2008

goto "RUN" type SFC /SCANNOW. put in windows cd and click ok each time it asks for the disc, this will replace any lost windows dll's.

have you looked in
admin tools - event viewer - applications for errors?

m800afc 17:01 18 Mar 2008

I have tried SFC /Scannow, but it just asks for the SP2 CD. I do have an SP2 CD, but when I put it in it just says that it is the wrong CD. This happens with both the XP CD and the SP2 CD. I can't get any further forward.

m800afc 04:45 20 Mar 2008

I have tried to do a repair from my OEM Win XP PRO disc, but the only options a I am offered are an upgrade, which does not offer a repair, and a complete new install which does not offer a repair.
In simple terms, how do I effect a repair without jeopardising my documents?
The XP CD does not boot on startup, I have to start the computer normally, and then start install manually, from the file explorer.

keef66 10:46 20 Mar 2008

As Clapton asks, do you have both AVG and Avast running at the same time? That would slow most systems to a crawl.

Rather than a repair you could try running a system file check.

Start / Run / then type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes.
Insert your XP disk when asked.

That's sorted out a couple of odd problems on my pc

keef66 10:49 20 Mar 2008

To get it to boot from the CD you need to go into bios and change the boot order so it boots from the CD first.

Bios usually accessed by tapping the del key as the pc is booting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?