SLR cameras

andyref 11:09 08 Mar 2009

Please can anyone advise me which is the better camera to buy ?

Canon "EOS 400D" 10.1m pixel digital SLR camera

Nikon "DSLR D60" 10.2m pixel digital SLR camera

skidzy 11:20 08 Mar 2009

Andy i had this exact dilemma and opted for the Nikon D40 though less pixels (entry level dslr).

Correct me if im wrong but if you go for the D60 you will be limited on lenses as they are afs.If you decide to go for the Nikon,make sure you save those few pounds and go for a VR lens.
Though you can go for prime lenses with the Nikon D60 everything will have to been done in manual,this will restrict you some what.

The kit lenses are very good on the Nikon,i have the 18mm-70mm and 70mm-200mm but have tried the VR....and they are better by a mile.

In saying this,the Nikon D60 is an upgrade of the D40 and if the results of the D40 are anything to go by from an amateur like me....the D60 will take some beating for the money.

Some shots with the D40 click here and im always playing with the settings rightly or wrongly lol :-))

andyref 11:27 08 Mar 2009

Hi Skidzy, I love the shots with the D40 and myself an amateur .
So you are saying the Nikon D60 is the better one then to buy ?

It comes with :

2.5ins LCD with wide viewing angle. 15-55mm AF-S DX Nikkor lens. ISO 1600 sensitivity. Image stabilization and dust reduction. 3fps continuous shooting speed with built-in flash. SD memory card slot. Fast start-up and shutter response. 8 shooting modes. In camera editing and retouch options. Up to 500 images per battery charge. Rechargeable Li-Ion battery and charger, USB, strap and software.

skidzy 13:29 08 Mar 2009

If i could have afforded the D60 at the time,i would have got that instead of the D40.
The Canon is a good choice too,but i think the Nikon has the edge slightly,but not ever owning a Canon my opinion is a bit bias.

I must say its a massive learning curve from a normal point and shoot camera though the D60 and D40 both have this facility and provides excellent results.

By default the D60 and D40 need some tinkering as they over expose slightly...easy enough to do.

I must say this,buying a DSLR has been the best move ive ever made regarding cameras...a point and shoot will not have a patch on a DSLR.

Going for the D60 has its advantages also,especially the dust reduction and 10mp.Though the 10mp is not really needed unless you plan on having your photos blown up over 10x8"
the D40 comfortly does upto 10x8 on high settings.

I would suggest you look up Ken Rockwell via Google and the camera model really fancy...do your research first.

One of the most important things in my book....is the feel of the camera,goto your local camera shop and get the feel of the camera and go for the most comfortable,quality wise...not a lot between the Canon and D40 and D60.

skidzy 14:02 08 Mar 2009

larger size pics from the D40
click here

click here

click here this one would have been the best if not for the cow behind,the colours are spot on.

What ever you decide on Andy,keep in touch (maybe through Flickr) as i would love to see some of your shots.

All the best and good luck.

andyref 14:08 08 Mar 2009

Will do Skidzy,where is the cheapest place to get lenes from ????

skidzy 14:26 08 Mar 2009

They vary but not a lot in them.

Online if so wished ,such as Microglobe,Camerabox,Amazon,plenty of others.... but i tend to stick with Jessops locally,just in case !

andyref 14:32 08 Mar 2009

Well Nikon "DSLR D60" 10.2m pixel digital SLR camera it is then .

m800afc 15:17 08 Mar 2009

Try Best Cameras.

click here

I bought my Nikon from them, and was more than satisfied with the service. All the staff are very knowlegable, and are clearly photographers themselves.
If you live within striking distance of Crewe, they have a shop where you can play with the goods on offer, parking is difficult however.
I have no hesitation in reccommending them.

Where do I collect my £5 voucher :-))

andyref 16:02 08 Mar 2009

Well I have just been asked to take photos at a wedding in July so apart from the camera and lens that comes with it what else should I need to buy ???

andyref 16:47 08 Mar 2009

I have just been told this :

The canon is going to get you the best image. Reason is because the canon cameras have the best processors on the market. Canon copyrighted it and has their processor heavily protected. Also Canon uses a true glass lens which will get you the clearest pictures possible. I would definitely chose Canon when picking a SLR because the processor is the most important part of that kind of camera.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?