Slowing down my PC

Willow12 19:22 14 May 2003

Having recently entered the PC world I am keen to download usefull bits of freeware for a variety of reasons but have heard that this will slow my PC down too much. Is this the case even if I stop any new programs from launching at startup? I have a dial-up modem 256DDR and 1.8 Athlon processor and am using XP Home. Any info on this would be great!

If you are experimenting then go ahead and enjoy yourself, you can remove any programmes that do not match up to your requirements.

Ideally before you start you should get a non-freeware programme called Drive Image and take a copy of your system drive and place it on a separate partition so that you can restore it to its original state.

Happy computing

powerless 19:43 14 May 2003

ANTI VIRUS, get yourself protected if you havn't already... click here it's free and used by many people on these forums. Downlaod, install and thenrun.

Be wary of where you download freeware programs from they may contain an unwanted visitor.

Your best bet (one of many) click here

Installing, program after program will slow your PC as your adding files and files. You can defragment your drive and this restores the speed side of things. If you do not like a program uninstall it. No need to have it sitting on your hard drive doing nothing.

To stop things starting from startup. Go to start > Run > Type: MSCONFIG then click ok

Now click on STARTUP and remove the ticks. If you are unsure what the programs are click here !

Depending on how big the files are if you cut of at the 2Hr mark your downlaod will be lost. You can use this (one of many) click here freshdownlaod will resume a download. So you can continue with the download.

powerless 19:45 14 May 2003

One of these days i'll get it right DOWNLOAD not downlaod.

Willow12 20:48 14 May 2003

Thanks whisperer.

How do I copy my system drive and I don't understand what you mean by placing it on a seperate partition! (sorry I know I am a complete novice)

Powerless

Cheers for your great response. I already have Norton 2002 protecting my systems and have restricted things from starting up that don't need to already.

Have Uninstalled a few things that I didn't like, although some have proved difficult to erradicate completely. Don't know how to Defrag though, so need info on that and how do I go about backing up my entire system on to CD, or do I only need to back up the registry?

Thanks again

To copy your system drive to a backup facility is easily achieved with the aid of Ghost or Drive Image, not free though.

You will also need somewhere to place the backup, normally on a second hard disc to cover failure; failing that a partition on the main drive which is made either with Partition Magic or Fdisk, the latter facility is only used when starting with a newly formatted disk.

To defrag your disk go to Start >Programs >Accessories >System Tools >Disk Defragmenter

For backup to a CD I can recommend Nero, there are however others including the built-in one with XP. I have never used this last one but it is well documented in the Help facility.

With regards backup (use Drive Image - plug) the only really important element is the data that you have made which is therefore unique and irreplaceable.

HTH

Thanks again

jeez 21:59 15 May 2003

hey, if your new to computing just make sure any data files are backed up, and go for it! I'm sure there are loads of people here who learned the most from playing around, yeah, you'll cause problems but then you'll learn from fixing them. If I has a pound for every time I screwed my pc's up badly and had to re-install I'd be sipping margarita's on a sun-soaked beach, with amazonian babes at my beck and call, but i don't so a cup of tea and the mrs will have to do! Jim.

Willow12 18:11 16 May 2003

Thanks for all your help. Got enough to go on now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache