Slowdown and malfunctioning programs

  columbine 09:42 10 Jan 2008
Locked

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a sudden slowing down of my computer,e.g. movement between pages in IE (but not download transfer rates) was affected. I also got a message at startup saying that virtual memory was too low.When I checked the minimum setting was suddenly only 135MB:I have increased this to 780MB. I also did a defrag and Disk cleanup but none of this has cured the problem. I have avast AV, zonealarm and spybot: only avast thorough scan revealed anything suspicious: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ActiveScan\pav.sig contained virus Win32:NGVCK-E but when I googled this opinions differed about whether this was a false positive or not.I moved this to, and looked at all files in, the virus chest and I found that kernel32, winsock.dll and winsock32.dll (no infections) were also there. I tried AVG and an online symantec security check(virus): nothing was found. Adaware found a trojan 'banker' which I deleted. Some applications, e.g. add/remove programs, Belarc Advisor and Advanced uninstaller are not running correctly. Can anyone please offer advice about getting things running well again.

  brundle 09:47 10 Jan 2008

I don't have a folder by that name in my System32 folder, I would be suspicious of it unless it's related to legitimate software you've installed yourself.

Try AVG antispyware and/or Spywareterminator/Superantispyware from click here

  birdface 10:23 10 Jan 2008

Pav.Short for Panda Anti Virus.

  birdface 10:43 10 Jan 2008

Hi.Looks like the same problem.click here

  birdface 10:45 10 Jan 2008

Maybe a system restore to before you had the problems.

  columbine 11:02 10 Jan 2008

Thanks folks for your prompt responses. I will try a system restore although I have had it turned off: I will reactivate it and see if it can solve the problems. The infected pav.sig file is in the virus chest so it shouldn't be causing any problems at the moment but I am minded to delete it. One thing though, I am puzzled as to how a panda AV file got onto my computer because I have not knowingly had panda installed. I have used AVG to scan the system but it didn't find anything.

  birdface 11:11 10 Jan 2008

Once Panda does a scan on your computer it does leave a file on it.If you cannot locate it in add remove.You should be able to do a search for it.I thought that it had been shown as a false positive.But then again it is not needed on your computer if you do not use it.

  birdface 11:14 10 Jan 2008

Have you tried Task Manager.Processes.And under CPU if you are not running anything System Idle Process should be showing about 97% all the rest the remaining 3% If anything else showing a high running % let us know what.

  birdface 11:17 10 Jan 2008
  columbine 12:59 10 Jan 2008

System idle is shown as using 99% CPU and nothing else is showing any CPU usuage.

  birdface 16:38 10 Jan 2008

Well nothing running on your computer that should not be.I admit Adaware is not the best Anti-Spyware program about.Maybe if you download A Squared free up-date it and run a full scan.And then maybe run your scans in safe mode.One other program that will speed up your computer is Winaso Optimizer.Free edition.This only repairs 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like,It also has a registry defrag on it and does an automatic back up.Have you tried my computer. Right click C Drive.Properties.Tools and tick both boxes.Computer will reboot and will take about an hour or so to check.So better doing it before you go for dinner or whatever.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?