Slow XP Pro - large numbers of non visible files

cga 10:23 24 Jul 2004

My XP Pro is still very slow despite running a number of cleanup utilities (CCleaner, AShampoo etc.) and I noticed that scans were going through huge numbers (250000+) files on my C partition. As a result I started to investigate using Treesize. What I have found is significant numbers of files that do not show up under either Windows Explorer or Powerdesk.

Before anyone says about folder options, I have dealt with these and rechecked them, (display the content of systems folders is checked and Hide protected operating system files is unchecked).

An example is in Document & settings for myself under Local settings the Temporary Internet files appears empty but Treesize reveals a folder called Content.IE5 that contains files/folders (I cannot tell) that are each about 2Mb and have 8 character random names such as QRJ2L4EX

Does anyone have any idea what these are and why I cannot see or manage these?

Any advice will be welcome - thanks

cga 12:17 24 Jul 2004

Bump

Brian-336451 12:32 24 Jul 2004

If you go into Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet files - you can move that folder onto another partition and see how much that affects your file count.

I am, of course assuming that you have a partitioned hard disk.

User-312386 12:35 24 Jul 2004

the "QRJ2L4EX" files will be your identities for OE

C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

Graham ® 13:22 24 Jul 2004

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware?

leo49 13:58 24 Jul 2004

These folders with the random 8 digit names are what they say they are- temp internet folders - nothing to do with OE at all. You can safely delete the contents - although Windows will stop you removing the .dat which can be slimmed down by other means.

cga 15:03 24 Jul 2004

Graham ® - I hve scanned for viruses and spyware. I Have an array of defences including Spybot & Adaware.

madboy33©® - I dont use Outlook Express and never have.

Brian May - Yes I do have a partitioned disk & I can try that.

Leo49 - Thanks for the info. The difficulty is How? I cant get Explorer to show anything regardless of folder settings.

leo49 15:35 24 Jul 2004

I and a lot of folks use Steven Gould's excellent freeware CleanUp!,available here:

click here

cga 18:07 24 Jul 2004

Thanks for that - I clearly was not running the correct cleanup software!!

It ran for a very long time and deleted 10's of thousands of files - including the ones in query.

Still intrigued why I could not get past Windows Explorer to see the content of the Temporary Internet Files folder but I have a much tidyer system now.

Thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?