Slow windows & Pop ups

Stuart 510 20:18 22 Apr 2008

I am using Windows XP with SP2 and I keep getting internet pop ups that all start in the blue bar with CiD - any ideas on how to get shut, NIS2008 and windows defender say there is nothing there. Coincidentally, my windows is painfully slow when switching between apps, does any body know if these issues may be related? Many thanks for any help
Cheers
Adam

Jak_1 20:23 22 Apr 2008

ctrl+alt+del to bring up task Manager, click the Processes tab and see if anything is using large amounts of CPU availability.

rossgolf 20:24 22 Apr 2008

click here

look thru this and tryt a couple of programs

Stuart 510 20:25 22 Apr 2008

Thank you - tried it, the only one that was there was iexplore, but it was 1 of 3 even though only 1 window open. However it does keep spiking upto 100% for no apparent reason

Stuart 510 20:31 22 Apr 2008

Cheers - will try some, any ideas where the CiD thing comes from?

Jak_1 20:35 22 Apr 2008

It wouls appear that Internet Explorer is the problem and may need either repairing or re-installing.
Not sure of the way forward in doing that but I have no doubt someone will be able to help with this.

rdave13 20:40 22 Apr 2008

Read this page and if you don't know what software it came bundled with then use the 'universal uninstaller'. You'll need to drop your security setting in IE7 just to run the uninstaller. Remember to reset afterwards.

click here

Stuart 510 20:45 22 Apr 2008

Sounds good, will give a go. Just for info, ran spyware doctor and this found a rake of stuff windows defender didn't.

Thanks again to all for info

Cheers

Adam

birdface 06:11 23 Apr 2008

Looks like you have Lop Virus.click here This sometimes comes with Messenger Plus.At least I think thats what you call it.Check add remove to see if you have it installed.

birdface 07:01 23 Apr 2008

There used to be a removal tool to get rid of it but can't find it.Maybe try SuperantiSpyware or Spybot search and destroy.You may have to turn off your system restore after deleting it to make sure it does not start again when you reboot your compute.

birdface 07:04 23 Apr 2008

I would have thought that Spyware Doctor would have found it.If so switch of your system restore.Reboot and then switch it back on again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires