slow windows 98 and file exchange to windows XP.

banrock 18:04 26 Mar 2003

I am about to upgrade my existing computer and the operating system will be windows XPhome (SP1). The advice I require is how and what files do I need to back up from windows 98 and will they be compatible for transfer, ie my email, address book, dial up settings etc. also any items I may not be aware of that may be useful for transfer.
Secondly my current PC (intel pentium 2 @ 350Mhz) has become increasingly slower over time. It has the habit (especially while web browsing) of the mouse pointer grinding to a halt or moving very slowly (to the point of minimal control) also printing takes an age. I'm sure the problem relates to memory, however I do not recieve any error messages, crashes etc. I am tempted to format my hard drive. I would appreciate advice on any steps I can take to solve the slowing up or files etc. Or if necessary the backups required prior to format of the hard drive (also what to expect whilst carrying out this procedure) I have the windows 98 disc and boot up floppies etc. but I would like to save as many of my files and settings as possible for reload.

Thanks,
Banrock.

flecc 18:50 26 Mar 2003

You can export your email and address book from within Outlook Express File menu and tyhen save them to floppies etc.

If you open My Computer and double click Dial Up networking, you'll see your ISP connection. Right click it and drag it to the desktop, selecting Copy Here. The copy will change to a file with a .dun extension, and teh file can be read in Notepad. Save that file to a floppy and on your new computer, drag it back into Dial Up networking and it will change back to your ISP connection.. You may need to reset your password though.

On the performance issue, with a computer of that age I'd advise you to format the hard drive and re-install Windows to have a fresh start, That will restore the performance.

flecc 18:58 26 Mar 2003

You will need to edit the Modem properties to select the correct modem on your new computer before you can use the settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?