Slow Win7 shutdown

benson68 09:38 03 Apr 2011

Sometimes, Win7 shuts down in 20 seconds, but usually it can be up to 2 minutes.
Are there any tips to speed up the Win7 shutdown?
I use Ccleaner, Malwarebytes & Auslogics to clean up regularly.

Nontek 09:53 03 Apr 2011

Have a look at 'Clapton is God' post in this thread ...

click here

benson68 11:26 03 Apr 2011

Thanks Nontek. I've snipped & printed "Clapton is God", & I'll try it.

Housten 12:08 03 Apr 2011

benson68

I don't know - as yet - what you found but I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I tried this, as I have much the same problem. I went through 'Nontek's' suggestion and did what CiG suggested but did not find - or rather the 'edit' part of the programme could not find - "Wait to kill service timeout”. So does anyone know where/what the same command in "Windows 7 Home Premium" is?

Also has anyone else noticed that since installing SP1 that starting up "Windows 7 Home Premium" has slowed down considerably? For instance when I get to the "Welcome" notice the arrow going round and round used to do about 7 or 8 circles before it disappeared whereas now I have counted - on many occasions - it can do this between 30 and 40 times and, very occasionally, has actually gone well over 40 times. Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is anything that can be done about it or is it just something I have to live with?

Many thanks in anticipation.

benson68 09:03 04 Apr 2011

I followed CiG & found wait to kill at the bottom of the list inside the control folder.

-it didn't work though!
Must be a program or two holding things up, delaying the closing down.
Did see some reference to "visual basic" not shut down yet. Can't think what this would've been used for.

As for SP1, it caused problems, & froze the computer. A system restore wouldn't work either. Eventually, Win7 came to the rescue "because of a failed SP1 install".
Magic!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?