slow webpage loading but fast connection!??!

theazinha 20:55 08 Sep 2008

I've recently got broadband on my pc and pages are taking ages to load (as in, at least a minute a page). I called my service provider (Virgin Media) and they did a series of tests to check the speed of the modem - all fine. The guy asked me to restart the computer but choose to use it in safe mode, which I did, and when i opened internet explorer the speed at which the webpages loaded was fine! He then said that it wasn't anything to do with the service provider but might have something to do with the security settings on my computer. So, i tried switching off my anti virus (AVG) and firewall but it didn't make a difference. I then downloaded Mozilla Firefox to use as an alternative browser but again, no difference to the speed (if anything it's slower). I've done a virus scan with AVG but nothing came up. I've also cleaned up the hard drive and cleared all temporary folder but nothing's helped.

I Have absolutely no idea what to do now, would really appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance,
Thea :)

RobCharles1981 21:02 08 Sep 2008

I'm afraid Virgin Media is the issue your experiencing here are you on the cable or the adsl service??

Do a speedtest click on the yellow triangle to start the test.

Make sure you haven't got any p2p running while you do this.

click here

birdface 22:13 08 Sep 2008

Right click local area connection and press repair.See if that shows any problems.Tools.Internet options..Advanced.Reset advanced settings.Or switch of all your add-ons and see if it runs any faster.Switch Modem off for a minute.Then switch back on and leave for 2 minutes before you use it.What firewall have you got.

birdface 22:17 08 Sep 2008

tools Internet options.security.Reset all zones to default level.Same with privacy.

theazinha 22:36 08 Sep 2008

Hi all, thanks for your help. I repaired the local area connection but it didn't come up with any problems. I wasn't sure how to reset all advanced setting or how to reset all zone on the internet security to default. I couldn't see that option available. I'm using virgin medias cable service and a windows firewall - which ive tried switching off but hasn't helped. Im going to do the speed test now, i'll post the results here.
Thanks again.

theazinha 22:50 08 Sep 2008

Date IP Address Download Upload Latency Server Distance Share
9/8/2008 9:48 PM GMT 86.13.122.66 1970 kb/s 11 kb/s 3329 ms London < 50 mi Close

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

theazinha 22:52 08 Sep 2008

Sorry that post was the speed test result - i've no idea what it means though... does it look normal to you?

RobCharles1981 23:19 08 Sep 2008

Do the speed test again for me. Do you connect via a router or modem if so what is the make of it ???

theazinha 23:35 08 Sep 2008

I use a modem that virgin media gave to me, so the brand is virgin media. Here the new speed test results... what do you think? Slow or fast?

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Showing Results For
MY CURRENT IP: 86.13.122.66 - (VIRGIN MEDIA)
Date IP Address Download Upload Latency Server Distance Share
9/8/2008 10:32 PM GMT 86.13.122.66 1925 kb/s 12 kb/s 3350 ms London < 50 mi Close

RobCharles1981 23:50 08 Sep 2008

Can you obtain any line stats from it??

What Speed are you supposed to be on ???

brundle 23:51 08 Sep 2008

Virgin Media is/are not the problem.
"but choose to use it in safe mode, which I did, and when i opened internet explorer the speed at which the webpages loaded was fine!".

Speed tests and DNS flushing are pointless as you have established that the connection is fine without one of the extra elements loaded when you don't boot the PC in Safe Mode.

An item in the network stack is slowing things down; a firewall, phishing scanner, a Browser Helper Object in Internet Explorer - please give more info - version of Windows, service pack, antivirus (AVG free ? ), firewall, any resident protection such as Spybot TeaTimer, any toolbars in IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?