Slow USB port

DerekE 12:59 21 Feb 2007

I have 3 seperate USB points, 4 ports at the back of the PC, 2 on top and 2 on the front as part of an ICY box multi card reader.

My problem is the 2 on the front are incredibly slow at transferring data from a memory stick whereas the top and back sockets are fine. Also transferring files onto SD cards in the ICY box connection seems slow but I have nothing to compare it with so maybe the problem is with this box.

I have checked the Device Manager and everything seems OK there with no exclamation marks against the USB controllers. Any thoughts please.

OS is Windows XP professional + SP2.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 13:04 21 Feb 2007

I would check your manual for your motherboard first, if you don't have it you should be able to get it from the manufacturers website.
Sometimes the front USB ports which connect to a header on the motherboard are only USB 1.1 and only the rear ones are USB 2.0. The manual should tell you if this is the case.
If you don't know what motherboard you have then download something like SIW and it should tell you. click here

DerekE 13:28 21 Feb 2007

Thanks Totally-braindead for that prompt response, I will check it out tonight as I have the mobo manual.

Would that explain why when I set up hardware on the front USB (such as my joystick) and ran it, when I had to plug it into the top port it came up detecting new hardware?

DerekE 12:36 22 Feb 2007

Problem seems to be with the memory stick as there was no reference in the Mobo manual so I tried another stick from a friend and all was well on all ports.

Thanks for the suggestion though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?