Slow, Unresponsive, Lagging Laptop...

Winxx 11:45 14 Feb 2007

Hi, I've had my laptop since christmas and have had next to no problems with it on performance but yesturday it went from the fastest things ive ever seen to the slowest?

The thing thats bugging me most is sound, when you get the startup noise, it is extremely jumpy and last alot longer than it should, any sound thats made is JUMPING LIKE CRAZY! = Testing with music aswell.

It for some reason takes almost 3 times as long to boot up now, the mouse moves as if its put on LOW framerate if you know what i mean/

I've installed nothing new in the last 2-3 weeks so i don't see how this could happen.

1) I restarted
2) Shut down and rebooted manually
3) Left the battery out for a few hours
4)In a last attempt did a system restore to a week ago which failed...

The sound is my main concern as speed is still up to standard (except for booting up)

terryf 11:51 14 Feb 2007

If you have the win cd I would try going to Start Run and typing sfc /scannow as a first stab

Winxx 12:36 14 Feb 2007

And what does that procedure do?

PS. I have tried restoring to another 2 previous dates to no success (why is this?)

The laptop seems alot faster now, but the sound issue still bugs me alot.

Winxx 12:47 14 Feb 2007

When a sound is played, it seems the whole laptop becomes unresponsive, slow and just lags up everything, which i think is making the sound disorted, crackly and jumpy.

Could it be that my speakers are blown, or my soundcard is corrupt??

I'd still like more information on what terryf has suggested.

VoG II 13:03 14 Feb 2007
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 14 Feb 2007

TRy updating / replacing sound card driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?