slow straeming/buffering

emanresu 21:46 28 Mar 2011

My machine is getting on a bit now but even a short flash video takes forever to download.The screen freezes with a spinning circle in the centre then starts for a couple of seconds then freezes again.I have a Dell Dimension 3000,Intel Celeron 2.67. 40 gig hard drive (15.23gb free space).1.5 mb Ram.I believe it has a Intel(R)82865G Graphic controller.Can this be upgraded or is it time to put it out of it`s missery.I have tried to give an accurate description of the problem but as you can probably tell i am not very technical in the PC world.
Thanks for listening.

ashdav 23:49 28 Mar 2011

Are you actually trying to download a flash video to save to your computer or just watch it on Youtube?
I assume "1.5mb Ram" is actually 1.5Gb RAM?
You don't mention what operating system you're using. If it's XP 1.5Gb RAM is ok.
If it's Vista or Win7 then it's borderline.
More likely your download speed over the internet is slow at your end or the server that you're trying to download from is slow.

emanresu 21:03 29 Mar 2011

I am just tring to watch it.
Sorry it is 1.5Gb Ram.
I am using Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 3.
Sky tell me i have up to 20MB download speed.
What i can not understand is my wifes Acer Extenza laptop running Vista Basic is a few years old now and has no problem viewing these videos.
Thanks for your time ashdav.

johnnyrocker 21:07 29 Mar 2011

i would try running one of the established methods for speed test never mind what provider says such as click here

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone